Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 1 September 2012
Do I need another cook book? Like a hole in the head...my kitchen shelf is groaning under the weight of my collection of books. Who cares?! I love 'em and get much pleasure simply from reading a well written and well presented cookery book. My partner enjoys crime novels, I like cook books!
This new HFW book doesn't disappoint. I love the Veg Evey Day book, and this is very much in that style. Beautiful to hold and read - superb colour photographs that just make you want to head straight into the kitchen and get going! And there are some fabulous recipes here that I just can't wait to try: tonight I'm making the chicken, plums and soy (looks amazing), and because I'm off to Sidmouth on holiday soon I'll be trying the crab, mayo and bread too. Other combos that look worthy of an early attempt include: mushroom, scone and sour cream; coconut, chilli and squash; mackerel, orange and celery; meringue, coffee and black currants. All look wonderful, all are simple, and many will be tried and tasted!
So if you, like me, really don't need another cookbook, who cares?! Dive in and buy this one - I'm sure you really won't regret it! (sound of splintering wood from kitchen as the shelf finally gives way!!)
1313 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2012
..... and a refreshing change from all those complicated cookbooks with recipe lists as long as your arm, including ingredients which are sometimes almost impossible to source.
Certainly the guest chefs on the BBC's "Saturday Kitchen" could learn a thing or two from HF-W in this regard.
Good to see that Amazon have clipped the price of this book since its publication from £16 to £14.75. Unfortunately it is still 18% more expensive than Sainsbury's delivered online price of £12.49. The days when Amazon could be relied upon to offer unbeatable value appear to be over.
33 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 October 2012
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I actually didn't enjoy this cookbook. I am to this day still using Veg and a couple other of Hugh's cookbooks, but this one didn't hit the mark for me. I appreciate the idea behind it and find the foody experiment interesting, but compared to his previous works this cookbook just didn't seem practical to me. Very little of it seemed like a meal, more nibbles or a quick plate of something to munch on. Overall, there were maybe 5 recipes I'd have wanted to actually take the time to 'cook', versus just thinking "Oh that looks like an interesting combination." So, yeah, ultimately I returned it and got another book... It's interesting, but it's just not for me.
on 18 September 2012
I'll admit that I was a bit cynical about this book - how could HFW repeat the success of his last two "Everyday" books without starting to repeat himself? And he does, but only a couple of times. Generally, it's more of the same creative, practical flair - good, straightforward natural ingredients put together in brilliant combinations. It's another winner - he really does get better and better.

I use "River Cottage Veg" on an almost daily basis and this one will be the same, I'm sure. He really does put healthy, natural food within anyone's reach. You can throw together some of his pasta recipes, for example, in less time than it would take to pick a ready meal and bung it in the microwave. And, while every recipe is based on a winning flavour combo, he always suggests alternative, so if you have a veg plot it's easy to come up with something quick and simple that will use up the latest crop.

There's some great ideas for snacks, salads and soups here - so no excuse for expensive ready-made sandwiches! Meat and fish sections are also excellent, with storecupboard meals represented alongside feasts requiring daily trips to the shops. And finally, there are lots of yummy puddings.

So go for it - Hugh has pulled it off again and this one is really worth the money.
on 31 October 2012
Great book the receipes are so simple and you dont have to go out and buy a list of ingredients you dont have. I love his style of cooking not pretencious.
on 3 January 2016
Well I think this is the best cookery book I have ever bought, and I have hundreds. It's simple tasy recipes don't cause endless piles of washing up . And if your like me and don't want to waste anything then this is the book for you . Look out for the vegetarian book by Hugh it's brilliant too.
on 8 June 2013
Spent a week with my daughter recently, and was mightily impressed with meals she prepared from this book, so bought our own version.It's amazing how many really filling meals one can prepare with three ingredients. A plus for us is the large number of non-meat dishes, as we are vegetarian
on 1 March 2013
Got this for christmas and was initially underwhelmed by it, a flick through made me think it wasn't for me. I'm a huge fan of the Veg book though, so picked Three Good Things up again and was amazed by it! It's become my most used cook book, I eat from it a couple of times a week and all of the recipes are pretty quick and cheap to put together. The lentils, potatos and spinach has become a firm favourite. I really can't recommend this book enough.
on 9 October 2012
I have already tried four of Hugh's recipes in this book with great success. The combinations are simple but original and at this time of year when the veg. garden is tyrannical it is invaluable to come across new ideas to use up those runner beans, beet roots, spinach and so on. Thank you Hugh!
on 16 February 2016
This is an interesting idea. A selection of meal ideas and recipes combining three food items, with suggestions for swaps and how to make some of the meals more substantial. Most of the ideas make for quick meals. There are combinations here that are unusual ; mushroom, scone and sour cream; coconut, chilies and squash; meringue, coffee and black currants.potato swede and egg and black pudding sprout puree and bacon to name a few. This is a book to return to and also use as a spring board for your own ideas and combinations.