1,308
Size: 55 mm|Change
Price:£13.00+ Free shipping

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 5 October 2011
Hoya filters are excellent, and if you go to their website, you will find that the HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) series are a step up from the "standard" range. It is very easy to pay more than this for a standard filter, so shop around for the HMC level, which reduces the reflection given by the glass.

The visual effect given by a UV filter is very subtle but still clearly visible, especially in sunny landscape shots. They certainly never seem to have an adverse effect, and so are ideal to leave on a lens permanently as a means of protection. If you want to really visibly enhance your outdoor shots, go for a polarising filter, which can be fitted on top of this if you want to, although this might lead to some vignetting on wide angle shots due to the combined length of the rings.

Overall, excellent and convenient lens protection at a very reasonable price.
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2013
In my "unreviewed items" this purchase is showing as made by Hoya, sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

I am fairly certain that mine bought via Amazon, was fulfilled by Amazon but sold by a seller. I have this filter in 58mm, 72mm & 77mm versions and they are fine. This one though I am certain is a dud or a fake. The green reflections even in broad daylight are shocking. Sadly I was in South America at the time and had it delivered to a friend, by the time it had got back to me, it was more than 30 days after my purchase and Amazon wasn't really interested in my objections.

I went back to Amazon to purchase 52mm and another 58mm B+W UV filter.

Buyer beware when buying filters online, check them in different lighting conditions, Hoya UV(C) filters should not have green flares on the images
55 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2013
Having used this make of filter 30 years before I was pleased to see it still available. The product is well made and a good fit. Delivery was prompt as expected.
on 30 August 2013
Arrived VERY fast; ordered evening and arrived the next morning, well done amazon :-)

This is the 'basic' end of the Hoya range. There are pages and pages of photographic reviews, and too be honest I would expect the far more expensive ones to perform better, however, as an excellent quality 'lens protector' and UV filter this one is very good.

I have not noticed any light flare or lens aberration, so one would assume this is how well it mounts to the lens (the lens design) it works very well on my Sony Lenses without any issues.
Much thinner than some alternatives, so the lens cap etc still fits.
With the High Quality HOYA brand, it is easily worth just a few pounds more than any other cheaper filter rubbish.

*TIP* be aware there are LOTS of fake ones out there; this one is genuine; sold, and fulfilled, by AMAZON direct so worth the assurance.

I WOULD recommend this filter.
on 29 October 2015
A decent protective filter for my Fujifilm S1 when used with an adapter (in my case, the JJC RN-S1 JJC RN-S1 Camera Filter Lens Adapter for FUJIFILM FinePix S1 Replace AR-S1). I have noticed, however, that this combination affects the clarity of my images for some reason, and I'm now considering a different filter, either in specification, or manufacturer.

I freely admit to being a "pixel peeper" interested in the finest detail on my shots (something the S1 can do very well, mounted or in steady hands), in other words the kind of person who will notice these things; if you are a "happy snapper" instead, this may be just the job for you, since at typical print resolutions or on smallish screens the images are very good through this filter. Of course the main virtue is in many cases that the lens is nicely protected, and the UV filtering is almost secondary!

If you are at all concerned with maximising the quality of your images it may pay to check this filter out in a formal way, perhaps going out taking identical pictures with and without, and forming your own opinion. I have reservations about it, but perhaps I'm expecting rather more than the filter can deliver, and other people will find themselves well contented with it.
on 12 June 2012
for the price, this is a quality product. bought for my canon 24-105mm lens. and have not taken it off since.
on 10 February 2014
Bought this to protect my Nikon lens (just in case) as some years ago I ruined an expensive lens with an inadvertent scratch. Cheaper to replace a filter than a lens anytime. Good little unit and does not seem to have affected the lens performance adversely. Good value for money.
on 20 October 2009
This filter is good, well built and it appears to do its job (protecting the lens)

Pros:
1) Relativly inexpensive
2) Well built.
3) The Hoya web site says this filter has greater than 97% light transmission.
4) Multi coated.

Cons:
None that I can think of.

I will over time be replacing all my lens protection filters with the HMC version as these are a good compromise (cost against quality) between the standard and super HMC filters.

I have not experienced any real problems with his filter but would advise purchasing a thinner filter for wide angle lenses in the long run it's worth the extra cash.
on 10 March 2016
Great price for a good UV filter. As many people do buying a UV filter is often done for protection more than the UV properties but what we don't want is for that filter to interfere or degrade the results that our lens is capable of, (or as little as possible).

I found to my astonishment that the Hoya seemed to be as good if not better than filters such as B&W. See the results here:

(in case Amazon take issue with links and delete the above - goto www lenstip dot com)

It's also interesting that the straight UV is equivalent in performance to the more expensive pro1 digital so I get these and at this price I'm more than happy.

For those that may look at that review and wonder what the difference it between UV-0 and UV-C is, according to Hoya, the -C version replaces the -0 version. Exactly the same performance but the -C is slightly slimmer.
on 3 October 2014
From this manufacturer it should be optically good, and this would appear to be the case. The mount is very matt black and screws into the filter thread of my Canon EFs 17-85 easily and smoothly. Despite what all UV filter manufacturers say, it has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the clarity of photographs, but they never have, even in the days of film. You buy this to keep finger marks etc off of the front elements of lenses. The alternative is to use a lens hood. However, these add bulk, need fitting when you get the lens out of the bag and don't generally do much as a lens shade.