TOP 50 REVIEWERon 19 February 2018
The first thing to note (that caught me out) is the fact that the image of the filter in the picture is not the one you are buying. Perhaps I should have been more "savvy" but I generally expect to get the item pictured. This fact makes the review slightly more difficult as I am bound to review the item I received and not the one I expected.

This filter arrived on time and is well protected in its own little box for storage which comes complete with foam padding (as expected). I am no professional photographer (hence I did not initially pay twice as much for the “digital” version (which I later rectified)) however I consider myself a keen amateur. As I read about photography it became clear that a polarising filter (circular not linear) is an absolute must, especially when taking wide-angle scenery photos.

I have found that it works OK with my Sony a6000 in terms of performance although physically it is great. It screws on easily but securely to my existing Hoya UV filter with no noticeable vignetting however I found that quite a few pictures had a distinct dark central area which spoilt the image. Being new to polarising filters I asked a photographer friend who said that this is not normal and so I returned it.

The filter is thin and you hardly know it is there until you see the results which, when working correctly, are great. Despite being thin, it is still easy to “turn the dial” to achieve varying degrees of effect. In essence it reduces reflections and somehow allows colours to shine through with more vibrancy thanks to the wonders, magic and mystery of optical physics. I was disappointed, returned it for a refund and promptly invested in the digital version. Fingers crossed.

I have provided shots of good results and a couple with the central mark for comparison.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 29 April 2015
NOTE: Due to a mix-up at MY supplier's end (not necessarily the same suppliers that you're currently looking at now!), I was provided with a slimline version. In a way, fortuitously, as it proved to be a more suitable one for purpose - explanatory comment later). My supplier was prepared to exchange it should it not be acceptable as the intended gift. However, that proved unnecessary as the recipient was very happy with it.) So THIS review refers to the slim (thin profile) version and NOT the one depicted. They were similarly priced when I bought it.

I bought this item as a gift for a friend who is taking photography more seriously as he gets closer to retirement. He's never used a polariser before, but came back from a recent trip into the Yorkshire Dales with some lovely photos and heaping praise on the effects of his new polariser. Being a slimline one, to reduce the chances of vignetting at extreme wide-angles, he seems to have avoided that. (His widest-angle lens is10mm, fitted to an APS-C sensor camera). However, it's a zoom lens, 10-20mm, and I'm not sure if any of the shots he took were at the widest setting. So beware of how you interpret this review, in that sense.
Having personally been a Hoya Filter user for many years, I had no reservations about the optical quality failing to meet his requirements.
Based on his feedback and my own personal experience of using Hoya, I'm happy to endorse this product.
on 28 November 2016
you won't get anything in the glass that cheaper filters don't offer. what you do get here is a low-profile rotation ring ideal for wide angle lenses that would otherwise include the edge of the ring in the photo (vignetting effect). if your lens is of "standard" length or longer (about 50mm upwards) it makes no sense to invest in filters costing several times as much, which offer absolutely no advantage. you can't even parade the brand around as no one will know you have a Hoya and not some generic quarter-of-the-price alternative. Go Apple on your filters? oh hell why not. Get out of my garage.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 December 2012
I have used Hoya filters as a preferred brand for many years and found them to be effective and relatively inexpensive. I have owned and used many different cameras in my time including some regarded as the best available of their time as were the accompanying lenses. I did not hesitate to choose Hoya filters than and I don't now.

I have never experienced any distortion, unwanted artefacts or any other problems during their use and this is no different.

I did once allow myself to be persuaded to purchase a couple of digital filters which together cost as much as another lens but could see no visible difference between them and any standard filter. Consequently, I now stick to these.
on 21 February 2013
This is a must addition for any serious scene or water photography. Defiantly enhances clouds sky and change the reflected colour of water. Just add this as a permanent fixture to your lens.

---And there's moor---
Read moor:- I have a brilliant use for this together with a Linear Polarising "LP" filter.
I must first start by saying you shouldn't fit a Linear Polarising "LP" filter alone on a digital camera.
Why you may ask?(Digital cameras use auto focusing and light metering / measurements and of course through the lens and therefore the filter, giving faults with focusing and light metering.)

If you only want a polarising filter use a circular polarising filter. Read on...
If you are familiar with polarising filters a circular doesn't really make sense!
How do you affect polarised light rays if the filter is circular?
And the tekey answer is:-
(A Curricular Polarising "CP" filter is made up of filter layers. The fist layer is in fact a Linear Polarising "LP" and the second and third layer for want of a better description re scrambles the light rays as before affected by "LP" light rays, therefore the digital cameras auto functions will work normally.

OK hear's the fantastic use for the "LP" filter.
If you place an "LP" filter on top of an "CP" filter you get the ability to adjust the light intensity as a an excellent but variable Neutral Density "ND" filter by turning one against the other, your digital camera still works as the CP added layers also fix the affects of the "LP" filtered light.

Now you have a fully adjustable polarising filter (turn both together)
and a variable ND filter (turning one filter against the other).
Clever huh? Works brilliantly to.
P.S. I used Hoya CP and Hoya LP filters bought from Amazon . Thank you.
--- and recently ---
Oh I tried this on a wide angle lens or/and a zoom set to wide angle, just as you get a freznal (dark blobs) effect with a standard variable ND filter, I noticed there is also similar effect with the above arraignment (P-Filter) adjusted to nearly max ND, but with a standard lenses much better results.
on 10 December 2015
I find it difficult to use. There is no indication or mark to suggest when this device is actually functioning. Its very much up to the user to decide. So you squint through your eyepeice or EV and turn the bugger hoping to see the changes in exposure. You will need very good light to notice anything much changing. You will probably knock your lens out of focus in the process. So to use this filter, you need your camera on a tripod to aid adjustment, and be prepared to put in the time to measure its effects, if you can see them.
on 7 May 2014
Having used this filter on my Nikon 1 J1, it gives excellent results with the Nikkor 18.5 mm f/1.8 lens, but, with the standard 10 - 30 lens on higher zooms, the lens gives a circular vignetting. Zoom less and the dark ring can be eliminated, but I was disappointed that the filter could not be used when full zoom was used. It is quite a deep filter front to back of, maybe a centimetre, however, and this is the problem. when the zoom is fully extended the filter is quite along way from the sensor - thus the vignetting.

The polarising effect is very effective, and this aspect can certainly be recommended. It is just a shame that it cannot be used on the quite limited range of the zoom lens.
on 7 July 2017
Great! Doesn't seem to introduce any colour cast. Smooth movement.
review image
on 19 October 2013
It actually works and I can have this nice blue in my photos and contrast between the blue sky and the white clouds.
Perfect also for video shooting. Especially through glass as it cuts the reflections pretty easy.

I tested this filter next to the pro version of a friend (also from Hoya) and the difference was almost not visible. Only at the edges, were the image was closer to the bright sun (and not 90 degress as you are suppose to be with the CPL filters), the pro version had better performance. This version had different blue between the edge that was close to the sun and the edge that was far away (left - right edge of the photo). The pro version also had this effect but in less degree (the blue was more consistent accross the image).

Very good for the price.
Please note that similar to the result of this filter is also the "through glass" preset mode that many modern digital cameras have. So you may want to also try this in case you seek for the deep blue of the sky but you are not willing to spend any money.
However the polarized filter helps you to fix all the colours (e.g. also the green in a forest) in a more natural way.
on 21 August 2013
Just come back from North Yorkshire. I have used this filter for all my shots on this mini-holiday. The front glass was easy to rotate and was easy to fit on the lens. The circular polariser is the best type of polarising filter to buy, as it gives you a definite quality of polarisation. Car windscreens and double glazing can show undesirable markings when using this filter. Unwanted reflections disappear when the filter is correctly adjusted. All this comes with practise. This make of filter is well renowned in the photographic trade and I have had many filters from this manufacturer. Superb quality and optical correctness. Buy one for your camera today. Your photographs will improve no end!