Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 March 2012
I recently borrowed this book from the library but after reading the first two chapters i rushed out to buy my own copy! The book is an essential read for anyone starting out as a freelancer within the publishing field. It covers a range of topics, from equipping yourself for home working, to creating a successful website and marketing yourself to potential clients. The chapter on working with 'frenemies' is particularly insightful and there is a useful chapter focusing on the different freelance roles available within the publishing sector The book is clear, well written and funny, and the authors share stories of their own freelance experiences which i found encouraging. If, like me, you're looking to branch out as a freelancer but haven't a clue where to start, make buying this book your first step!
on 26 December 2010
This is a straightforward, earnest guide to getting started in the world of freelancing. As another reviewer points out, many of the tips are useful to anyone who's interested in becoming a freelance, so the appeal of the book is broader than the title suggests.

The authors focus on the need for professionalism, but, thankfully, that doesn't make the content stuffy or staid; in fact, the humour helps to make this a refreshing read.

I was heartened to learn about the mistakes the authors made when starting their fledgling businesses. Kudos for the candour, I say!

I have been working freelance as an editor and technical writer for about a year, and so I've already faced and overcome a number of the challenges mentioned in the book, but I'm certain that I would have found matters far simpler had I gained access to this information when I was starting out. On that basis, I have no hesitation in recommending this guide to anyone who is thinking about grasping the nettle and becoming a freelance; undoubtedly, this book will help you along the way.
on 2 December 2010
I'm in the process of setting up my own communication business and, although this book is specifically targetted at publishing, most of the advice is also highly relevant to setting up in a related field.

Well written and divided into sections that you can either dip in to or read in full, this book also contains lots of examples to highlight the dos and don'ts of freelancing, taken from the personal experience of the authors. Definitely a recommended read for anyone considering going solo in this, or a related, field.
on 31 May 2011
I have recently started a business as a proof reader and copy editor but long to get into ghostwriting. This book was great help. It layed it all out clearly, from even thinking about starting out to getting going. It also includes advice from other experts in related fields as well as superb clear advice from the authors. Very well written, easy to read and informative. I loved it and would recommend to anyone.
on 29 September 2015
Some quite useful tips and pointers useful websites and some case studies etc. an easy and short read. It has a little too much description of what working freelance isn't (lying in late, extended coffee breaks, plentiful holidays, etc) to the point that it is a tad patronizing. Overall happy I bought it not least for website references.
on 14 December 2010
This book is essential reading for anyone embarking on a freelance career in publishing or a related field! Highly accessible, the book is divided into bite sized chunks that cover each of the essential areas of freelance publishing. It includes information and insights on client management, marketing and finance as well as lots insideer knowledge on how to succeed. This book addresses the business of freelance writing in a way that is informative, insightful, engaging and funny. I would highly recommend this book to anyone considering or planning a career in freelance publishing.
on 7 November 2012
A very useful book containing information that could be sensibly applied to any freelance business, not necessarily just in publishing. It's refreshing to find a book written by British people, aimed at the British industry/market. So many similar books these days are aimed at either the US or Global markets.

The book is full of common sense tips and friendly anecdotes. Rather than offering any groundbreaking new ideas, it does offer a certain amount of support and confidence building. It shows that launching a business can be done, whatever your circumstances. Those who are wavering on the point of 'should I? / shouldn't I?' could use this book to help them decide whether or not the business is right for them. It demonstrates the good and bad side of freelancing.

All in all, a good read, and something to keep on the shelf to dip in and out of in the future.
on 27 October 2014
This is certainly an invaluable book for anyone thinking of going freelance even if for those not in the publishing business. The writing style reflects the author's experience in writing and editing. It is entertaining, straightforward, and the font is easy for the eyes (big plus).

The book contains 10 chapters, with chapter 1 explaining the attributes necessary for a person going freelance and the necessity of evaluating your attributes before moving into the freelance world. Chapters 2 to 6 are the ones I found most useful. They outline how to start your business and the need to register with the authorities, how to protect yourself with terms and conditions, how to handle the financial aspects of your business, and how to market your business and build an online presence.

I have read several books before starting my consulting business (see my reviews), and this one was the most useful in relation to protecting yourself with 'terms and conditions' and 'project agreement' forms. I haven't read about these in any other book on freelance and consulting.

While the book does not go into the details of, for example, legal business structures, the nitty gritty of taxes, or how to build your website, I would consider it a starting point and, if you need to learn more about these aspects, buy more specialized books. For me, this book served as an important starting book on top of my bundle of books that I have read before starting my consulting business.

The book finishes with inspirational stories from other people who have worked as freelancers. Ironically, I didn't find these stories inspirational. What I found inspirational is the two authors' stories and how they did some mistakes along the way.
on 29 March 2016
A really good, well written introduction to starting as a freelancer in publishing. This book is informative and written in a style that inspires confidence. It has lots of invaluable tips and anecdotes and a list of useful contacts to get you started. I would recommend this book to anyone considering this career.
on 2 March 2012
A delightful read, this book gathers everything you need to know on the subject - from taxes to technology - and is filled with useful testimonials from experienced professionals.
I congratulate the authors for not having been afraid of sharing these precious tips and I recommend this book to everyone who is serious about freelancing in publishing (even if you are not in the UK).

I used to work in a Portuguese publishing group and I was fantasizing about going freelance when suddenly I received news I was being let go. Being a practical person I took action right away, using this book as a lighthouse. A few months later, I feel better than ever, business is growing and my website is already up and running. Thank you Emma Murray and Charlie Wilson for being such an inspiration!