Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Resistance forum

How does the book end?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Apr 2008 22:40:42 BDT
Gibbo says:
does Sarah leave to look for Tom, or meet up with Albrecht or leave on her own?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2008 09:40:25 BDT
A. R. Jones says:
90% of me thinks she goes to look for Tom, but knowing that she wont find him.
10% I think meets up with Albrecht

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2008 09:52:51 BDT
Joy F. says:
But what about the final entry in the Bible giving Sarah's date of death the day after she left? Did Albrecht let her down? My romantic soul wont countenance that!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2008 18:05:06 BDT
Geoff Jones says:
I believe Sarah is an existentialist. She will make her own way now. She believes her husband has let her down. She will not countenance relationship with Albrecht for isn't he resonsible for Tom leaving her? Staying, she will be accused as a collbaorator. The relationship with the Germans has shown her there is a life outside the valley - she realises her hopes & ambitions have been suppressed & she will find a world elsewhere. Did Sarah sign the Bible or Albrecht? I believe it was her a symbol of her past life now dead & gone.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2008 18:12:45 BDT
I actually thought it was Albrecht who signed the Bible to protect her even if she did not join him to run away with him. Having said that I also think that Sheers wrote it that way because he maybe wants to continue the story.

Posted on 10 Apr 2009 15:38:04 BDT
This is a story where you can write your own ending. I think Sarah decided to escape from the valley, maybe to look for Tom or maybe just to start a new life. She filled in the date in the bible so that no one would come looking for her. I like to think she made it and began a new life somewhere.

Posted on 14 Jun 2009 22:36:19 BDT
L. H. Healy says:
Just finished this and glad to see these other thoughts on what happened! I thought that she probably didn't go and find Albrecht, even though this made me feel a little sad. But the fact she still cherished the account book with her letters to Tom in made me wonder if she does go to try and find Tom. Interesting!

Posted on 10 Jul 2011 11:33:02 BDT
She took her wedding photos with her, which makes me think she didn't join Albrecht. The dogs were dead, so maybe Sarah filled in the bible herself, so no-one would come looking for her, and after that no-one came back to the farm to feed the dogs or release them. I think part of her wanted to find Tom, but part of her knew that she wouldn't and even if she did, too much would have changed for them to just pick up where they left off. At one point, she says she knew she had two days at most - two days before what? Was she imagining she would be caught, or that she might commit suicide, or just two days before she re-joins society? I'd prefer to think she would create a new life for herself. I wonder why she burnt the map? She obviously didn't want the Germans to have it, but if she was planning to escape, she could have taken it with her. Maybe she didn't think escape was realistic.

Posted on 9 Aug 2013 21:09:17 BDT
She poisoned the dogs. The reference to her going into the outhouse, at the last moment, with two pieces of bacon, coming back out and feeding them to the dogs seems to make that clear. It is as if Sarah has discovered a mythical avenging spirit in herself, becoming a completely single-minded and ruthless patriot on the model of her missing husband and young George. She kills her loyal dogs so that they cannot be used to track her. She lets down Albrecht - presumably, waiting for her uselessly at their rendez-vous, he is arrested as a deserter and court-martialled along with the rest of his patrol. She burns the map - no one will ever see it again but at least the Nazis won't get it. And she sets off on a forlorn last attempt to find her husband, in the belief that the shooting of Maggie's horse reveals the men's presence in the neighbourhood - but knowing that the attempt will probably fail and she will be caught and killed before long. She fills in her death-date in the Bible because she knows that her last action is probably suicidal. At least that's my guess. I also guess that the German army vehicles whose lights she sees coming into the valley as she climbs over the hill presage the massacre of the rest of the women - though perhaps saving the life of the unfortunate Gernot. A very bleak ending but pretty plausible, I think.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Resistance forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  3 Apr 2008
Latest post:  9 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Resistance
Resistance by Owen Sheers (Paperback - 10 Feb. 2009)
3.8 out of 5 stars (104)