Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 September 2013
It's remarkable that books like this can actually get published. After boringly spending the whole of the first chapter debating what "interesting" means, quoting such esteemed references as....their inbox after they asked their pals, the rest of the book didn't get any better. It's full of obvious advice, irrelevant asides, and general regurgitation of known conversational techniques. "Read the classic books" (which they list over nearly 2 pages to pad things out more) and "have an enquiring mind" is the level of advice here.

It did have one laugh out loud moment though: "the outside of the ear is shaped like a question mark - for a very good reason". It's good to ask questions and listen. Like the ear evolved because of the natural advantage that asking questions provides, and you wouldn't think to do this without a question-mark shaped ear. Oh dear, about as believable as the 5-star reviews on here whose reviewers have never reviewed anything else but all suddenly reviewed this book on publication. Buy something else.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2013
This must be a truly inspiring book.

It's prompted a whole string of new reviewers to put fingers to keyboard for the very first time and they've all given it five stars.

It's almost unbelievable how good this must be.
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2014
Really poor rehash of other well known and better delivered books and concepts, don't waste your time..
on 3 July 2013
I don't normally read this kind of book but I loved it! Full of interesting references and fun, illustrative examples, it reminded me that a big part of being interesting is to be interested in other people. After all, other people are the most interesting thing in life. Great stuff!
on 9 April 2013
I bought this for my husband as whilst he fascinates me I felt he could do with a few pointers.

This is perfect - packed with perfect pointers but it also made him (and me) laugh out loud. A bit like a really good dinner party, a bit like a really good radio play, a bit like a really good gig... this leaves you feeling that you might be more interesting to those around you once you have read it.

In three words: it's very interesting.

And our marriage has never been stronger.
on 16 April 2013
I entered this book filled with trepidation. A manual on how to be interesting? Yeah, right! So you can imagine my immense relief when I began to read and soon realised it's not "that book"!!!! It's fun, entertaining, sometimes surprising and well put together while being maybe even a little educational (in a "wow! That's who said that?" kind of way). No lessons on "how to be interesting" just cleverly gathered quotes and stories from the lives of those society at large considers interesting, a little quiz here and there to make sure you're paying attention (LOL) and possibly (as the reason d'être of the book?), the opportunity to define for oneself what "interesting" really is and to provoke some reflection on "are we as interesting as we could be and just maybe if we pay attention we can be if we want". Above all tho' this is a great little book a fun read and it's VERY INTERESTING.
on 18 April 2013
My Dad will find a well-thumbed copy of this in his Christmas (compression) Stocking. Whilst he's pontificating across the turkey about my cousin's success as a banker for JP Morgan, and the free holiday he enjoyed in Zanzibar where the merchant has bought a hotel, I'm going to fumble in my Primark handbag and produce this gem of a book in a timely manner.

At least his reaction will make him more interesting!
on 16 June 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, packed full of really useful insights on how to have more positive outcomes with your social interactions. A great book to dip in and out of too. When I say something is 'interesting' at work, my boss, who is German asks "Do you mean 'interesting' in the British way"? I can now give him a copy for Christmas to enlighten him!
on 13 April 2014
I found this book very handy, it is an excellent book and is filled with a lot of new things to help you improve on your life and be more interesting towards others so I would recommend this book to anyone who need a boost on how to be interesting.
on 12 August 2013
Just seems full of really simple useful help. Very logically laid out book, quick to read and simple to understand. Lots of other books on this same topic is just too technical and long winded - where as this book gets straight to the point and easy to apply in every day life.