Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 February 2002
Having reached a critical stage in a web-building course, I needed a book which could teach me, a newcomer to graphics about Photoshop 6, but in a language I can understand.
I spent some considerable time in bookshops leafing through books on the subject and I decided upon this one, How to use Adobe Photoshop 6.
At almost 300 pages, it doesn't skip on detail, indeed I now know not only how to create layers, but how to put them to best effect when creating and editing images, something which had baffled me for some time, but something which I needed to know.
Its layout is superb. The book is divided into tasks and each task is made up of a series of colour screen prints, each accompanied by the author's teaching notes. The reader is encouraged to follow the author step-by-step through each task and the screen prints are large enough to compare directly with the image on the computer screen itself. It is easy therefore to follow his every step, in fact dare I say it is more difficult to lose your way.
The book dispenses with the awkward humour which you sometimes find in computer-related books. What I needed was a book designed especially for someone like me, in other words someone new to the subject, but equally a book which doesn't talk down to me or try to introduce humour as a means of making the task of learning more appealing. For me, the book creats a good classroom-like atmosphere, discplined but not too 'heavy'.
I purchased Adobe Photoshop 6 because I understand it to be one of the best image editing programmes on the market. At first glance, and after the second or third as well , it remained a screen full of icons and boxes, all of which I was sure meant something, but not to me. Having read the book, I find that it isn't that daunting at all. It all makes much better sense now, and at least in terms of the basic tasks, I am a lot more familiar with it. Sure, I have a lot still to learn and I know that, but with the book to hand I look forward to learning more.
In summary, I don'think you can go far wrong with this book. I thought long and hard about which book to buy, believe you me, I looked at about ten in all. If you want one which can teach you the basics and more, try it out - I don't think you will be disappointed.
Kelvin Hampton