Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 October 2009
My sons first books he's chosen himself to read alone!! Saved a fortune buying them from seller. Tone is pitched perfectly at boys 8-12. Better than Potter for boys
on 28 December 2007
David Tennant is a truly wonderful narrator. He brings the characters to life, unfortunately now my son wants me to read the books aloud and I can't compete (could David pop round to my place at about 8.00pm?!). All the Hiccup books are wonderful for children, boys especially, full of all the gross humour they love. Recommended.
on 17 September 2015
David Tenant's performances on these books is an absolute barnstormer - I have the first four and plan on getting the entire series on audio. Its almost too good for kids (cheeky, but someone has to say it). Do yourself a favour and get this - guaranteed to put a smile on your face!
on 25 October 2010
great book - we all really look forward to my 6 year old's bed time as it has us all in giggles - language is just right - not too simple but still easily understood and my 6yo can read it himself if he puts his mind to it. I caught him reading some to his friend on a play date which must be a great reccommendation.
on 31 December 2014
My kids are arguing about how many stars we should give to this book. My four year old says it's Ok and wants to give it three stars. I suspect though that this is just to wind up her nine year old brother, who wants to give it four and a half stars. I am giving it five stars, as both kids have been enthralled by the story, and the eldest didn't anticipate the twist at the end at all. Recommended if you are already a Hiccup fan, but works equally well if you haven't been to Berk before.
NOTE THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE AUDIO VERSION READ BY DAVID TENNANT.

I love audio books and as an educator have always taken an interest in children's books.
The reason?
To see if I think they are worth reading, are at the right reading level, to see if they will grab the attention and... a confession to enjoy reading or in this case listening to them.

I can honestly say this audio version read by David Tennant exceeds expectation on all four counts.

And if you include the extra proviso for an audio book.
Which should be is the reader any good at reading the book?

then make that five.
Make no mistake this is five star book.
Inventive, funny, amusing, and the vocalization by the angelic Tennant is wonderful.
He is up there with Kenneth Williams and Stephen Fry and that is some compliment.
When Tennant reads Cowell's wonderful tales you are convinced that all the characters are there.

How the heck I have missed this excellent series for so long is beyond me.
This is my first book but it will not be my last.
100 per cent recommended.
on 11 August 2007
This book has more new charaters and tribes than before. It's one of my favourite of the series and it's outstanding! Suitable for ages 6 - 12!
on 10 October 2013
My grand-daughter loves the How To Train Your Dragon series. She has 2, and I ordered
6 more, as part birthday/Christmas stocking/school holiday treats. I am including all 6 books
in one review, of which this is one.
Don't hesitate. If your child loved the first, eponymous title, they will love them all!
Maggie
on 24 September 2013
Despite being hardened in-car DVD watchers I tried this for my 3 children & I for a long car journey. It had us all gripped, the car has never been so quiet (you have to listen - not fight with your brother & sister); good story and brilliantly read by David Tennant - something for everyone!
on 16 October 2010
This book is REALLY funny, I liked the bit where Snotlout told Hiccup the snow will turn as blue as Gobber the Belch's nose before you become chief, and it really did come true!!! Leon, age 6