- Enjoy £1.00 reward to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 reward per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Other Sellers on Amazon
How to Survive a Plague [DVD]
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
"Extraordinary! It's moving, it's engaging, it's uplifting, it is ultimately empowering."
- Mark Kermode
"Seeing the film made me realise how ignorant I was... An absolutely brilliant film."
- Catherine Shoard, THE GUARDIAN FILM SHOW
In a desperate effort to save their own lives, an improbable group of mostly HIV-positive young men and women broke the mould as radical warriors to take on Washington and the medical establishment.
With unfettered access to a treasure trove of never-before-seen archival footage from the 1980s and '90s, Oscar-nominated filmmaker David France puts the viewer smack in the middle of the controversial actions, the heated meetings, the heartbreaking failures, and the exultant breakthroughs of heroes in the making.
Blisteringly powerful, HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE transports us back to a vital time of unbridled death, political indifference and staggering resilience, and constructs a commanding archetype for activism today.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
This is essential, highly recommended viewing for everyone who lived through that period of time, and those who didn't.
As for the reviewer who said gay promiscuity caused the AIDS epidemic, you can come kiss our collective surviving backsides, you bigoted fool.
Some thirty plus years after its arrival, every day is World AIDS Day for people affected by the big disease with a little name. It's personal. At the time of writing my book, the Foundation for AIDS Research reported the shocking worldwide statistics as follows:
* 35 million people are currently living with HIV
* 3.3 million of them are under 15 years old
* 2.3 million people were newly infected in 2012
* 260,000 of them were under 15 years old
* Every day nearly 6,300 people contract HIV - nearly 262 every hour
* 1.6 million people died of AIDS in 2012
* 210,000 of them were under 15 years
* To date 75 million people have contracted HIV and
* 35 million have died of related symptoms
In the UK there have been approximately 75,000 people diagnosed with HIV and about 22,000 related deaths. An additional 25,000 are thought to be living with HIV but are currently undiagnosed. Our annual spend on HIV related treatment and care in the UK is in the region of £750m. The human catastrophe of HIV and AIDS tore at our hearts and souls but couldn't diminish our courage and determination to survive.
I HAVE REMAINED HIV NEG
IT WAS A TERRIBLE TIME HOWEVER I MUST CRITICISE THE CONDUCT OF HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS AND UNDERTAKERS AT THE TIME....EVERYONE WAS TERRIFIED IN CATCHING .
MY GENERATION DIDNT KNOW WHAT WAS IN STORE..
THE CURRENT GENERATION DOES ..IT ANNOYS AND UPSETS ME TO SEE GAYS AT CLUBS LIKE VAULT ENGAGING IN UNSAFE SEX..
THEY HAVE A VERY NONCHALANT VIEW ON THE EFFECT AIDS HAS HAD ON HUMANITY.
I FOUND THIS DVD HARROWING
MAY THE MANY WHO DIDNT MAKE IT RIP
Full of original footage and interviews with both survivors and those who sadly didn't make it. Highly recommended.
Packed full of archive footage - incredibly moving and ultimately hopeful
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews