Customer reviews

on 18 October 2013
This book came on to my radar with almost perfect timing. I decided to give NaNoWriMo a proper go this year. I even had a couple of pages of outlining done. That's when I realized that it couldn't possibly work without massive cliches or sexual violence. Neither of which appeals to me. Oh bother. I'll just go and cry in the corner.

I grabbed a copy of this book and settled down for a read. What I like about this book is the easy-going informal and relaxing style. I could feel myself calming down as I read. There is no cajoling or castigation just simple and easy to follow advice on how to improve your productivity as a writer. Not just as an author but any kind of writing. Students in particular will find this useful.

I made a few notes as I was reading and I plan to use them to help remind me what I should be doing. Some are self-explanatory and some may not make much sense unless you read the book. Here's my list:

What is this?
where did it come from?
who did it belong to?
what did it mean to them?
What if? What if? What if? What if? What if?
Do not put away those childish things.
Shut up and write!
Narrative, narrative, narrative. Sell the freaking story and sod everything else in a first draft.
Finish it, send it out, start another. Ad infinitum.
Create or wither away.

This book will not turn me or anybody else in to a prolific writer. Only hard work and effort will do that. Hopefully though I now have a few more tools that I can practically use to achieve something.

My new revised goal is to write every day in November without worrying about what it is or whether it is any good. I've said it so now I have to do it.

This book although short and simple has enthused and inspired me. That is worth more than money.