Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 31 December 2010
A comprehensive guide to growing food plants in a polytunnel, season by season, which also is relevant to greenhouses. Deals with a large range of plants in considerable detail, how deal with pests and diseases and advice, which may seem obvious when read, but is not covered in most gardening books. For example, avoiding the use of chemicals which will build up in the soil in the absence of rainfall etc. to leach them out, and opening the tunnel for a short time on winter mornings to let the cold air out. This book has opened my eyes and I am looking forward to a much more productive 2011.
on 12 March 2011
Some years ago I bought a book "Four Season Harvest" by Eliot Coleman it was good but based mainly on American climate. I thought then there should be a UK based guide. Our climate is so different, though somewhere in the whole of the US it may have a British similarity. This is that book, it is based on all aspects of Polytunnel gardening. It will inspire you to get the most out of the wonderful microclimate that they give us. It also covers the idea of all year produce not just a few Toms & Cues in the summer. It is the guide you will refer to over and over, month by month as you are encouraged to plan and grow for the whole year. Try a few new vegatables and cut down on those dire supermaket vegatables. The varieties breed to be robust enough to survive packaging instead of FLAVOUR. I have had a polytunnel for 9 years and it has envigourated me to make this this best yet. Worth every penny, get growing!
on 9 April 2013
I bought this book to find out more about growing under plastic. I've grown fruit and vegetables for decades but I've found the recent very cold, dry springs and wet summers of Cumbria to be challenging. I love the book's emphasis on organic growing and I liked the practical detail on things such as how to build a fleece cloche within a tunnel.
However, the bulk of the book is about cultivation details for different crops, which is readily available in other books. If you've never planted a potato or sowed carrot seed, should you really be contemplating a polytunnel? I wanted detailed information on ventilation, watering and pollination, and my questions were not properly addressed by this book. Maybe I was supposed to buy The Polytunnel Handbook also?
It's still a useful and very practical book.
on 26 December 2010
A fantastic book for a new poly tunnel owner, clear guidance from erecting and when best to do it ,to growing your first crops, cant wait to get started
on 12 January 2017
Very good worth buying
on 5 March 2011
"EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN" FANTASTIC BOOK, ONLY SET UP A POLYTUNNEL LAST APRIL 2010 AND WANTED TO UTILIZE THE FULL TUNNEL TO ITS BEST ABILITY, BOOK SHOWS YOU WHAT TO PLANT, WHEN TO PLANT. PICTURES ARE COLOURFUL, GREAT INFORMATION GIVEN FOR A FIRST TIME GARDENER LIKE ME. ITS NOW MY "BIBLE" LOOKING FORWARD TO TASTING MY ACHIEVEMENTS.
on 28 February 2011
I'm not a gardener in any shape or form but this book is amazing, its simple terms are great, anybody can grow their own stuff - even me!! Brilliant book would recommend it to anyone.
on 1 January 2011
I'm looking forward to putting the info to practical use. I already have their other poly-tunnel book, "The Polytunnel Handbook" by Andy McKee and Mark Gatter. The two combined give you all the information you need to get started from building the tunnel to producing the goodies.
on 27 May 2011
Excellent book, bought because I've just got my first polytunnel. Very easy to understand and idiot-proof advice and instructions. Very glad I bought it, and my polytunnel is now not big enough!
on 10 August 2011
This book is excellent.By looking throught the contents page, I was able to check that my aim to use my polytunnel throughout the year would be met and though having a tunnel for some years now, there were still lots of tips for me to make better use of it.For those considering buying a tunnel the authors have another book on that aspect of the subject so this book is clearly focused on growing food all year round -useful for experienced gardeners as well as new growers.Written by real gardeners sharing their experience and knowledge with clear diagrams and inspiring photographs- excellent value.