Jack Canfield is best known for his Chicken Soup for the Soul series, the stories featured in there came about because he is a motivational speaker and often used stories to highlight what he was telling his clients. This book is about Jack Canfields original work, motivating and inspiring people to aim for the life that they've always secretly wanted.

There are a lot of books on the market with a similar purpose, I know - I've read quite a number of them, what I particularly like about this is that it doesn't push heavily at spirituality which a lot of others do. There are 2 books which I've abandoned in the past month as I want to develop myself not find religion and according to them I couldn't do one without the other.

Yes, a lot of the techniques are similar to what is in other books and it's not telling you anything different but what do you expect from a bunch of books on the same subject? The success of this book lies in it's ability to talk to you in a friendly way, without being patronising.

It's made me re-evaluate my life, look at what areas I'm unhappy in and do something to try to improve them.

A couple of months on and I've decided to edit this post with an update: I have now had a complete change of life; I have a new, smarter image; I have lost a considerable amount of weight; I have moved job to something more complex and interesting which has led me to more than double my salary. I won't say it's jus because of reading this book but all of htis has happened within a short time of reading this book.
77 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2010
I'm always sceptical of reading glowing reviews as I always think they have come from the author/publisher... but this book has a very real power to change your life.

It's not mumbo jumbo, instead it just talks common sense about where you are and where you want to be... and you end up realising that it is only YOU and your low self-esteem/lack of encouragement etc. etc. that is holding you back from literally asking for or achieving anything you want in life.

I am nowhere near at the point where I am putting the principles into practice on a daily basis - I'm lazy and as prone to settling into my comfort zone as the next man - but after reading the book once I asked for a meeting with my two managing directors (a big deal to do that!) and asked for a £5k pay rise. I never would have dreamed of doing that without the book helping to organise my thoughts and allowing me to see what I am worth.

It's the only self-help book I have bought and I dip into it constantly. But if you are more principled than me and REALLY stick to the principles I think you'll be amazed at what happens.

Anyway, that's my honest review. I think it says in the book that these kind of principles should be taught in schools, and I can't see why they are not!

p.s. they gave me £4k!
on 14 July 2007
I never liked this author's Chicken Soup series for being sentimental. This is much more practical. It explains how to take control of your thoughts by taking responsibility and setting goals.

The style is very much like Brian Tracy: it is very easy to read, and the ideas are explained in plain English. They are also backed up with well-told examples and stories.

Skip the acknowledgements and introduction: all the "meat" is in the 25 main chapters.
on 16 March 2013
This book is fab, it's a great pick me up when you are in the doldrums. It's not going to change your life, i.e. you need to do the work!! It gives you a new perspective and encourages you to think in a different way and to assess what you really want out of life. Think of it as the start of the new you. I have even bought a few copies for friends. I have re-read it and you gain a deeper understanding by reading again.
on 26 May 2015
The Key to Living the Law of Attraction: The Secret To Creating the Life of Your DreamsThis is the second book I read by Jack Canfield. The first one was which I absolutely loved, so much so that I bought one for a dear friend, something I never do as I assume people read the books they choose to read, not what I buy them but I thought that she really could take a lot of inspiration from it. This book is a lot thicker and although the content is very good I have to give it one star less because I didn't find it as inspiring as the other one which is maybe unfair as it the subject is a bit different. Still, this is a book worth reading! There are very good affirmations and advice on how to become more successful as well as many inspiring stories (well, the one of the luge Olympian appears twice and that wasn't really necessary but I suppose most books are now only proof read by friends and family and not by professionals who would spot those details anymore). Jack also tells you how to create effective affirmations, something that is very important and which I hadn't come across so far because you need to use affirmation that work, of course! Like his other book this one is a book to read from cover to cover but also to refer to often! Whether you want to become more successful in your career, own your own business or even in your personal life this book can be of great help if only you keep using the advice given here. If you only read it once and forget all about it then either you have a great memory or else it is not use reading it at all! In the end there is a list of book Jack advises you to read according to your goal, one of training possibilities you can attend and audio programmes (take into account that the book is was published years ago so many might not exist anymore) and a reasonable index. I wish that I lived in the USA and could attend one of his seminars but then.... You never know... things happen to those who are brave enough to wish them!!!! Jack Canfield is an inspirational human being and we are lucky that he shares that inspiration with us!
on 15 June 2012
Fantastic book its inspiring and motivating it is easy to read and understand .The author Jack Canfield relates to his own personal experiences and those of many other well known people and reasons for their success it's a great read .
on 22 April 2014
Not a big fan of 'self-help' books, I politely accepted this book after a friend recommended it to me a five years ago. I'd been complaining that I felt in a bit of a rut and wasn't living up to my full potential (or some other type of typical complaining!). She said I should read this book so I did.

The book, although cheesy in many ways, somehow set in motion a series of events that led to my setting up my own Virtual Assistant business within a WEEK of reading it. By being aware and recognising signs and opportunities, good things came my way and, I not only used the book to inspire me to live my dreams, but then as a practical advice manual on how to get there once I'd decided what I wanted.

I now recommend this book to everyone I meet and to anyone stuck in a rut and wanting better for themselves. I dip into it quite often and use it as a kind of reminder to stay on track. The book is like a friend giving me a pep talk without me having to hassle my actual friends!

I also lend this to a business-owner friend of mine who had a retail shop and who was telling me she was stagnating and wasn't on the path she thought she'd be. I lent her the book and she actually had put in motion steps to expand and open another shop within a MONTH of reading it. Not bad I'd say.

I'm reminded of some of the tips often and use them in my day to life and how I approach life. My favourite one is: "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always got". (or something like that!). I highly recommend this book and am certain I wouldn't have set up my business if I hadn't have read it.
on 30 August 2009
I read this book whilst on holiday and I found it hard to put it down.
This has been one of the best motivational books I have read so far.. I highly recommend this book!!
It gave me such an insight in how to achieve success and experience positive progression within my life.
I am currently enjoying putting the book's methods into practise. The book also contains many quotes and success stories which are very inspirational to read.
on 21 January 2011
I didn't get far before the old "write a list of things you want to be, do, have." came up. The steps are not profound or new and if you don't know where you want to be then it's not great. I decided I better spend a year figuring that out then get back to the book. Ofcourse if you know where you want to go then you will probably not need steps to tell you how to get there.
Canfield is a nice guy but he should write half as many books and spend twice as long thinking about the content.
It is also quite shallow. So you want to be rich, right? If you want to be an artist Canfield is not your man. If you want to buy a ferrari and work in sales, buy this book.
on 30 December 2015
This book is brilliant I never knew how much power I had over my life and my destiny, I have definently made a lot of changes since readings this book. I have a mentor, I have joined the institute of directors and made fruitful contacts, I am much more happier and confident in myself and I have gained clarity of what I want in my life. Also, I am quitting my job next year to become a full time entrepreneur and I have the means to support myself untill my business takes of. I Thank God for Jack Canfield and his inspiration to move forward in life.