Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 July 2009
I bought this book after id been attending obedience classes with my dog and i really wish id bought it before i even bought him. It is a very informative book which shows how sometimes what we think a dog means by his actions can be the complete opposite of what he actually means. I recommend anybody who owns a dog or is intending to get one should get this.
on 15 May 2013
Much of the content of this book is not easily available. Good style, well written and enjoyable. For anyone who wants to learn more about dogs and the research that has been carried out to try to establish how dogs work, think, use theri senses etc. Also lots of references to other animals and how they learn - including humans. Strongly recommended
on 21 August 2010
I borrowed this book along with several others from my local library to help with a dog cognition assignment i was doing at university (where i am doing an animal behaviour and welfare degree) and out of all the books i borrowed i found both stanley coren books (how dog's think & the intelligence of dogs) quite.....boring, which is really saying something since i obviously enjoy learning about dog behaviour and am very interested in the subject as want to be a dog behaviourist.

I just feel like he has spread himself a bit too thin, I think he would have been better off combining all 3 of his books into 1 overall one that just discusses dog behaviour and intelligence, the individual books failed to hold my interest and i just thought they went on at some points, there are much more interesting books out there to read, im sure stanley coren has a lot of experience and it is good that he has chosen to publish some work and share his experience with everyone... but 1 larger book may have been better as i don't see why there are 3 or 4 books by him with very similar topics when he could have just combined them and left out the waffle.

I did manage to get some good info out of the book for my assignment, but it was few and far between and quite hard to get at, hence why i have rated the book 3 stars. It was just a bit too all over the place for my liking.
on 17 February 2011
I am a dog lover and some sort of dog educator, but also a neurologist and neurophysiologist. I do not tell this to boast myself, but so you can understand that I know something about neuro-anatomy and -physiology. Yet, I learned dog-things I didn't know and I live with dogs for 64 years now! When I say this book is superlative, I mean it. The author describes the dog senses with pinpoint precision, yet in such an easy understandable language even a non-scientist or a non-doctor can comprehend it. As usual with Coren, his way of writing is attractive and keeps you glued to the pages; his anecdotes are superb and very instructive. I find this book even more superior than his excellent book "Dog's intelligence". It is a 6 star book for everyone!
on 17 April 2014
This book explores and explains why dogs do what they do, and why we sometimes misunderstand them. Why Dogs Think is thought provoking and shows how to live happily with your canine friend. It is definitely my all-time favourite read of the year.
on 9 June 2010
I used this book in conjunction with a home study course on dog behaviour. I found it very helpful for giving reasons for my chosen diagnosis and treatment for problem behaviour in pet dogs. I also found the stories regarding his own dogs very amusing and reminded me of many dogs I have come across.
on 15 February 2012
I bought this together with The Intelligence of Dogs. Very insightful. If you love dogs, you'll naturally want to make a connection with them and after reading this book, you may find that you understand your dog more and become a more responsible (and responsive) dog owner.
on 3 December 2015
not a fan of Stanley im affraid!.. sorry.. there are better and more realistic books out there
on 18 June 2014
Very informative, goes into a lot of extra detail you normally would not read in normal dog books. A must have for dog lovers :)
on 21 March 2015
Amazing! Technical, physical information about dog's visual, auditory and nasal setup - and VERY interesting!