on 31 December 2017
I don't usually read autobiographies, but found this in my library on my kindle. Started reading it, not expecting to get very far, yet was totally gripped from beginning to end. John Bishop's personal and professional life are interesting and he tells his stories with humour, love and kindness.
on 3 December 2015
Normally when I read a biography on someone the early years are interesting then it just seems to get boring with people going through their time in this play or that venue. All through this book your family are part of your life and with the ups and downs which makes it human, if that doesnt sound wierd.
I cried, I laughed and I was impressed by a genuine family man with all the quirky honest parts of his life.

Thank you for five hours of riveting reading.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2016
I have to say that I enjoyed this book. I don't normally read autobiographies, however once I started to read I just wanted to read it all. I found it an interesting g read which appears to be an honest account of how he has got to where he has through hard wor, fate and some very difficult decisions. Would I be in a different position now if I had made more difficult decisions ( although I have made some and I am happy with my lot) yes I would.

I have read some reviews and feel that they are talking about a different book?

I liked the fact that I could hear John's voice narrating the book as I was reading it. In an instant he also had me crying - the part about the dead schoolfriend brought back some memories for me involving a young boy and a car accident near our home whenI was young. These things stay with you!

Overall I think that we would get on with John and his family, down to earth no airs and graces, honest and values friendship!

Well done, and I hope that your career continues for some years to come.
on 2 January 2015
I have been a huge fan of John Bishop for quite a while now. When I first found out he was going to have an autobiography coming out I was excited, to say the least. The only disappointment I had was that it took me so long to get the book.

Throughout John Bishop's autobiography you get a real sense of understanding and appreciation for the man behind the jokes. It's not every day that you come across a celebrity who loves what they do without feeling the need to brag about it. I find John keeps it real. He takes you on a journey through his life and you begin to see that he's not like most celebs - he actually did things before he became famous. He talks about his family, his stumble into comedy, his bike ride across Australia and his Sport Relief challenge with passion and pride.

I did feel that he put maybe a bit too much thought and attention to his earlier life than his comedy career but I didn't for one moment find it dull.

I loved the moment when he cracked a joke about the ex-wife's, in the earlier days, only to then find her face in the audience staring back at him. I found myself, like I do when he's on the TV, laughing constantly.

The book is thoroughly enjoyable and definitely has a huge dose of John's humour in it.
on 20 April 2017
I decided to read this book after watching John Bishop in Conversation tv show. I thoroughly enjoy his informal style of interviewing finding him both extremely articulate and insightful and thoroughly interesting and entertaining. Just knew I would enjoy his book and the way in which he writes, and I have. I've looked forward to coming to bed to read John's book and would highly recommend reading it even if you are not into comedy. Would now love to see him on tour. A thoroughly.de. ce

nt down to earth bloke
on 1 January 2016
The word legend is used to describe Kenny Dalgleish, as he achieved beyond anyone's comprehension, had talent in abundance and entertained many people, making their lives a little more bearable...

Having read this fantastic book (I can relate to so much of due to only being a few years young, played footy, coached in America, done sales, gave up jobs when others thought I was mad) the above and beyond that John has delivered consistently throughout his life, the help and compassion for others and the obvious daily learning he treats as his blessings... Put him up their with Dalgleish, in my eyes he's already a legend and hopefully one day I will have the honour to meet him.

Well done John not only for everything you have achieved but also for being a loving husband and father regardless of how bad things got... Then having the courage to share your story in this quite brilliant book. Well done & good luck...
on 14 September 2015
I'm from the same area as John Bishop, and also do stand up comedy, but don't expect any bias here. Honestly, I expected a 3 star book based around the fact that the man is very successful now, and probably felt obliged to write the expected biog' by his agent etc. How wrong can a person be? I'm an avid reader, and always have been, and have to say that this is one of the best books I have ever read. No joke. It is funny, poignant, incredibly honest, and also if you need anything else, an incredible love story between a man, a woman and their kids. Utterly brilliant. If there is only one book you read this year, this should be it, and no I haven't been paid to write this, and have never met the man.
on 6 June 2016
I only bought this book because it was in special offer and I had a small amount left in a gift card that needed using. I like John Bishop and think he is funny but didn't have any great desire to know more about him.

However I'm so glad I read this book, in addition to bring laugh out loud funny it's also very interesting, this man has had a very interesting life and I would urge anyone to read it.
on 29 September 2014
John Bishop is a very funny man on the TV. However, people seem to forget the celebrities are just people like you and me. Some celebrites may have the fame from being very young but some, like John, have to work for it, take risks, take the rough with the smooth, and keep on battling. Some celebrities then just use their fame to get richer whereas others, like John, use it to help others.

The drive that John Bishop has is incredible. Where most people would think that a task was too much or too risky, he grabs it and doesn't give in. This book is by no means a way of him saying how fantastic he is. If anything it shows how he is just a normal man but with a little bit more determination to get where he wants to be. It's a brilliant book that I would recommend to anyone.
on 31 December 2014
I absolutely love the realism and touchability of John's personality, story and writing style. He's a wonderful person, dad and mate, I'm sure. I acknowledge that this will sound weird to some, however, I do wish I could obtain a copy of this book WITHOUT the 'heavy language', so I could encourage all my children and grandchildren to read it. A 'born n bred' scouser myself, I lived with and understand its use as a kind of punctuation. Some may even imply that it's those words that make him funny, but that is just not true. That would be insulting to John. He's a very talented, good example of how to take life gently by the throat and make our intelligence, choices and courage work for us, personally. AND he's funny too! I've watched so many on the comedy scene spoil their appeal to ALL groups, feeling they need to SHOCK, or add expletives, to reach the top. Love you to bits, John, but do you know anyone who can supply the edited version of your must-read story???? Stay wonderful x x Runcorn