on 4 December 2011
I do enjoy reading etiquette books for girls, and the title of this book grabbed me the most. I ignored the poor reviews I'd read, because often I've found etiquette books to be a little outdated by today's standards, and perhaps the reference to Paris Hilton might mean this book was more contemporary. I suppose what I was after was a practical guide with scenarios that I could relate to. However after completing the first chapter where the writer rambles on for several pages, complaining bitterly about who she dubs "the Stupid Girls" getting all the attention of the media, I started to realise this really wasn't the book for me.

She seems to complain more about slutty women, rather than offering guides for those who have bought the book, who want to know how to be a lady. Which in itself, I would say is unladylike to complain and make yourself feel superior to them by labelling them stupid. She includes a little quiz where bland scenarios have three answers you can chose, one clearly the slutty answer, the second, clearly the ladylike classy correct answer, and one third drab answer for those who make no effort. I found these totally unrealistic and not at all relatable.

She also seems to have an unrealistic grasp on the media of today, expecting headlines to read "Girls dominate the business world" and "Another nobel peace prize awarded to leading lady" should more people read her book. /journalism doesn't work like that!

I can see there are attempts made to teach the reader how to carry yourself, speak and behave like a lady, but these are flimsily explained and basically just compared to outrageous poor behaviours of today's stars.

I can reccommend many, many other books to read including "How to talk to anyone" by Leil Lowndes, or 'Debretts Etiquette for girls', which ACTUALLY offer practical advice for those who would rather learn something, or be guided than read some bitter woman complaining about women today.
on 30 June 2011
I actually thought it was fairly obvious that this book wasn't about Audrey Hepburn, it is a guide to translating the elegance, manners and restraint she emitted into today's world. Unfortunately most of it is just common sense about not acting/dressing like a hooker or a chav, and is slightly impractical in today's world, but sound advice none the less. No pictures, which is a shame, but if you need to clean up your act this is a good place to start.
on 5 May 2011
As another reviewer says, if I had found this book in shop I would not have bought it. Nothing to do with Hepburn and no real guidance on how to dress or style. This is really an essay aimed at pre-teen girls exhorting them to dress with elegance rather than fall into the trap of dressing like a prostitute and behaving like a lout to gain attention. Whilst I agree with the sentiment not what I was expecting nor wanting to read.
on 16 May 2014
The author goes on and on about the likes of the Kardashians and Lohan lacking in class but don't read this if you want much actual advice about being classy beyond things you would already know. It is pretty much just an opinionated rant.
on 12 March 2011
This was not at all what i was expecting.. the review below me says it all. I didn't even bother to read past the first chapter.
my advice: if you are over 13 years old and want an audrey hepburn book, don't buy this book.
on 30 July 2013
Bought this for my twenty year old daughter to demonstrate that it is OK not to follow the "fake-and-trashy" trend. Luckily, she agrees and loves this book. So do I.
on 19 June 2014
Terrible sexist book. Actually suggests making cakes and then the recipe is "buy a box of cake mix". I'm no Nigella but what self respecting person uses cake mix?
on 14 July 2010
I was a little bit let down with this book. I thought it would be more about Audrey Hepburn...but no, thats just the title. If i had seen this in a bookshop and flicked through i would not have got it.
Theres a few interesting bits and it starts well. I think i thought it would be more like a fact book, like 'what would Audrey do?' (which is fab by the way).