I didn't quite know what to expect when I bought this book. It could've been another poor attempt to cash in on a popular TV cookery show, but it's actually an awful lot more than that and very impressive. The book is laid out very well, the food photography is excellent and the recipes are clear and concise. There is a good introductory chapter covering ingredients, techniques and equipment in quite a lot of detail. All of which is very useful to novice bakers, such as myself. One you're into the recipes, each one has a full page colour photograph on the opposite page, with a brief summary at the top detailing number of servings, preparation time and baking time, with a brief summary of hints and tips. There is a detailed step-by-step set of instructions for all of the recipes, which I'm sure anyone can follow easily. I also think there is a wide variety of different things to try out, ranging from simple breads to elaborate cakes (and simple cakes and elaborate breads too). I've tried a number of the recipes, particularly the breads, expecting them to go horribly wrong since I have never made them before, but all have been successful. I really can't find many faults at all with this book, and would highly recommend it.

The contents page looks like this:

Introduction 6
Biscuits, Puddings and Cakes 192
Tarts & Pies 260

Directory 298
Index 299

The full list of recipes:

Basic white tin bread
Rye bread
Cholla loaf
Crumpets

Truffle ficelles
Pumpkin seed sticks with poppy seeds
Green olive sticks
Maneesh
Stilton and grape flatbreads
Flatbreads with Epoisse and bacon
Breakfast rolls
Gorgonzola, pear and walnut bakes
Garlic bread
Coriander, olive and onion bread
Seeded bread
Cherry tomato and mozzarella breads
Bacon and Cheddar loaves
Cheddar and apple bread
Stilton and pecan twist
Cranberry and Stilton bread
Pecan loaf
Fruit loaf
Apricot, date and sultana loaf
Teacakes

Seeded sourdough
Spitfire sourdough
Sour olive bread
Cheddar and apple sourdough
Smoked bacon and garlic sourdough
Sourdough filled with Epoisse cheese
Rosemary and lemon sourdough
Muesli and banana sourdough
Chocolate and apricot sourdough
Lavender honey and toasted almond sourdough

Croissants
Brioche with Brie

Buttery shortbread biscuits
Cryriot almond biscuits
Gruyère biscuits
Chocolate, peanut and raisin clusters
Scones
Wholemeal scones with cheese
Blueberry breakfast pancakes
Clafoutis Monique
Baklava
Blackberry and pear strudel
Pear, pecan and chocolate crumble
White chocolate puddings with plums
Passion fruit souffles
Carrot and almond cheesecake
Gingerbread with sticky pears
Mrs Post's lemon drizzle cake
Victoria sponge
Marble cake
Banana bread with walnuts
Chocolate almond cake
Spiced coffee and date cake
Triple layer chocolate cake with walnuts
Caribbean cake
Summer fruit genoise
Raspberry and passion fruit muffins
Cherry chocolate muffins
Chocolate brownies with dried cranberries
Bûche de Noël
Christmas cake
Royal icing
Marzipan
White Christmas cake
Simnel cake

Shortcrust pastry
Flamiche
Smoked salmon cheesecake with lemon vodka
Moroccan pasties
Sweet pastry (pâte sucrée)
Tarte aux abricots
Pecan and chocolate tart
Lemon meringue pie
Mince pies
Puff pastry
Pithivier
Portuguese egg custard tarts
Mozzarella and bacon bites
Courgette tart with roasted tomato coulis
Sausage rolls
Pork pies
Poacher's pie
1010 Comments| 404 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2016
I originally bought this as an e-book because we were in the process of moving house and I didn't want something else to pack and struggle to find on the other side, but still wanted to feed the bread making itch that had popped up since Bake Off.

As an e-book, obviously, you cannot just flick through the book and 'ooh' and 'aah' at the wonderful pictures, but they are still present with every recipe. I made several bread recipes from the book with huge success, and have cured my fear of bread. I know from Paul's detailed descriptions (and a couple of videos online that have nothing to do with the book) what each type of bread dough should look and feel like, and that actually placing the bowl of dough in a warm place to rise creates a slightly inferior taste to it being left naturally at room temperature.

I have since received the print version for Christmas and can only say it's even better having it in front of you to flick through. The pictures are beautiful, and included with every recipe. My family have tried and tested several recipes from the bread, tarts and pies, and cake section, and all have been hugely successful and simple to bring together. While I have a stand mixer, I like that most of the recipes have explanations and instructions for not using one, and what your mix should look like.

I'm beyond happy with my book. I'm sure I'll be eyeing up more Paul Hollywood books in the future!
on 25 May 2014
Great recipes and we haven't had a single failure yet.

As other have mentioned, with all that kneading home baked bread can be time consuming at first. But once you get the hang of it and use my shortcut method, time spent adding ingredients is all it takes. I use a 'hybrid hand/machine' method. I assemble ingredients as per the recipe, chuck them all into the machine on a dough program and forget it for a couple of hours...exact time is not critical. Then I tip out the dough and continue by hand as per the book...usually this simply consists of leaving it on a tray to rise again, then into the oven. Using this shortcut I can home bake bread every other day with no effort. As a bonus...the longest kneading time on my bread machine gives the dough such a good workout that even basic (cheap) flour yields excellent results...I never buy premium 'strong' flour now.
on 21 March 2017
I haven't baked anything from the book just yet, but had a good read through it. Recipes are explained well and instructions are really clear. So it's easy to follow even if you're a beginner when it comes to baking. Would have love some more pictures here and there, but overall happy. Can't wait to actually bake something over the weekend.
I have been making all our bread in a machine (Panasonic) for quite some time, but after watching Paul Hollywood's recent TV series, I was inspired to try a simple bloomer. I did cheat, I still mixed the dough in the machine to start with, but it is amazing how different the result could be just by tipping it out and shaping it rather than cooking all the way in the machine. I am now hooked, and decided to explore further with one of his books. I have only browsed so far, but the pictures are beautiful and the writing very easygoing and pleasurable. Very pleased with it.
Having not used one of Paul`s books before I chose this one for its more various baking recipes as apposed to the new one which seems to have more `meal` recipes.Im glad I did, I have just baked the best loaf I have ever made. The Victoria sponge came out perfect as well. The recipes are well explained, techniques especially for bread are really good,and there are loads of colour pictures.I cant wait to try out more recipes and will update when I do.There is a full list of recipes in the `Look Inside`on the Amazon page, plenty of everyday and special occasions. Lovely book, very pleased.
on 21 January 2017
I have used the recipes in this book for my weekly bake for the last 6 months and could not be more pleased with the results. The recipes actually work are easy to follow. Out of my over large collection of cook books this one get more use than all the others put together.
on 2 May 2017
Good book, looking forward to trying a few recipes
on 16 April 2017
Present for my sister, she says it's good.
on 28 May 2017
Very easy book to follow fantastic recipes.