on 26 December 2010
It was a requested present - recipient was delighted
on 14 November 2015
Superb and utterly chilling accounts of demonic possession by the late great Malachi Martin. Martin is virtually unknown in England but was a highly successful bestselling author in the US and a former Catholic priest. He was in fact one of the best popular authors of the 20th century. This book scared me more than any horror film etc. I've ever watched. Whether you believe as Martin did that these cases are genuine or not it is well worth the read. I have read most of Martin's books now: they are all brilliant. If you can listen to his Art Bell interview about this subject. Your hair will stand on end!!!
on 11 May 2017
Quick delivery, matches description
Very happy 😊
on 30 March 2017
I have read this a couple of times and you could describe it as something of a curates egg - whilst some of the stories or elements thereof seem to stretch the bounds of credulity somewhat the highlights are unsettling enough to stay with you. It is the darkest book on possession I have read in comparison to others by e.g. M Scott Peck & the stories of the "possessions" of Marianne & Richard/Rita have been conveyed by the author with considerable power and a quite chilling effectiveness.
on 23 December 2015
The first chapter "The fate of the exorcist" is utterly absorbing, really scary and had me thinking about the meaning of love and evil in the universe. The first case I read was "Father bones and mister Natch". This was agonisingly dull. It didn't seem to be about possession at all, just two priests inner turmoil trying to equate evolution with their Catholic faith and the teachings of Pierre Teilhard de chardin. The author gives the life history of just about everyone involved at an excruciating pedestrian pace. The cases are supposed to be true but they are written like a novel, the author telling us what a character is thinking while they are talking for example.This erodes the feeling of authenticity. For the rest of the book I will read the non fiction commentaries but skip the stories.
on 30 July 2014
It is more like 5 different books as the theme of it I different accounts of possessions and ultimately the exorcisms. If you are expecting Hollywood type action then you will be disappointed. It makes the whole process far more thought provoking. You are given the events from the person possessed an also the exorcist himself. The first possession and exorcism of Marianne is terrifying and really scary. However the remaining 4 are not which was disappointing. Well worth a read though particularly if you are interested in the logistics of he whole process and the truly horrifying effects on the priests themselves
on 31 July 2009
I ordered this book, expecting something along the long of
"An Exorcist's Story" by Gabrielle Amorth (Vatican Exorcist)- a very well written and informative book.
I've always wondered how people actually become possessed - (thankfully) most of us don't, so what is the actual cause?
Having read the all the reviews for this book on Amazon, I thought this book might provide the answer.
What I did not expect to find - was that all the excorisms in this book were actually tape recorded, and then typed (dictation style) into this book, word for word!
Had I known I was going to spend an afternoon listening to the Devil himself - I would not have ordered this book!
on 7 April 2017
Hubby happy with it
on 18 August 2017
Very well written but with poorly argued attempts at justifying Christian dogma regarding naturalism, the problem of evil and sexuality. Irrespective of whether you believe the accounts or not, Martin's interpretation made for plenty of eye rolling moments.
on 5 July 2006
I have to say that I couldn't put this book down! It is a big book and for me, a big read. I have to admit I didn't have any of the creepy things that happened to one or two of the other reviewers, happen to me because of the book, for which I was glad! Malachi Martin's style of writing, I thought, was excellent, as I was reading the different cases, I could almost feel what the person was going through, I've never known that in any other book I've read I must admit.

The main thread throughout each case, was that the person eventually "let" the invading spirit/being "in", they gave their permission, I had also heard this in other cases so I didn't have any problem with that thought, what I did, however, find disturbing, was just how easy it could be to "give in". Situations and the pressure getting so much the person just sort of "gave up".

I recommend this book, it was a terrific read and I bet it is one of those books that if you read a second time, you will find bits you missed the first time.

For anyone thinking of giving this book a go, I say go for it, it is compelling reading.