VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 April 2012
Horrible Histories DVD
I bought these for my daughter (series 1, 2 and 3 on order). I hated history at school but found myself watching and laughing all the way through these. As well as the fun I picked up quite a few facts on the way. If only school history was taught like this !

The scenes, information and acting are all spot on. The plots and presentation of the information has been well researched and presented in each part. They are very funny and will appeal to adults as well as children and there is lots of interesting information to learn about in a brilliantly presented way - I loved the bit about Henry the VIII using a medieval version of Facebook to find a new wife. Highly recommend to all ages!!
on 7 January 2011
There's definately an educational, historical element benefit (my 6 yo seems to have picked stuff up) but it's just so funny with a heavy dose of genius. It *can* be yukky but they seem to have got the level just right. 13 episodes for, currently, [...] is a bargain. You'll have your favourite segments, such as Henry VIII's song or the 4 Georges, then find yourself looking forward to the next repeating segment like Stupid Deaths or the Wife Swap parody.
My 6 yo boy loves it, my 3 yo girl tolerates it and, honestly, with little change it could go out as an adult program (BBC3-ish).
on 13 January 2016
The series is fantastic; good entertaining, educational viewing for children and adults alike. I have now bought this as a present for several friends with children, all of whom love it. Am tempted to buy all the series just for myself! Episodes with songs are particularly entertaining.
VINE VOICEon 17 June 2011
history made fun, kids only learn one way in my opinion, fun fun fun and gross nasty facts, my son has all the books after his auntie sarah started his much valued collection and had learnt so much from them so he was in heaven with the tv show but dissapointed he missed some episodes .we were over the moon when we saw you could buy the whole lot on dvd and i can honestly say within minutes of opening this for his birthday he had the shrinkwrap off and was watching it, its been watched over and over and even i enjoy it and have in fact learnt from it.i cant recommend this dvd highly enough to anyone with children who love to learn the nasty side of history
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 October 2016
Had bought this for an older grandson, so knew it was brilliant. What's not to like? Silly people presenting history in an entertaining way. Personally, I love it!
on 20 August 2010
This is quite possibly the best TV series around. I was encouraged to watch it by my nephews and nieces and now I am totally hooked. A marvellous piece of entertainment suitable for children and adults alike, it has had me gasping for breath through laughing so hard. As an educational series, it has managed to light a passion for learning in my nephew that had, hither to, lain dormant. And I just can't get enough of those Vikings - Literally!
on 15 August 2011
My 4 year old has a fair command of (English) history simply because of this programme. I would have had no idea how to start trying to "teach" her about our long passed kings and queens and the Romans and Vikings and so forth but we stumbled onto this programme about a year ago when she was still only 3 and she loved the songs and the slapstick and from there has come to love the show and all the various sketches. She now can pick out many of our kings and queens from portraits or from other TV shows or books and has a good idea what their importance is.

It is one of the most brilliantly produced "children's" programmes on TV. I enjoy it too and when there is a new season on look forward to the next instalment! The production quality is excellent, and it is never patronising.

I would give it 10 stars if I could.
on 4 August 2011
having seen a few of this series on tv with daughter, i decided to buy her the dvd.
what can i say hillarious , educational , and wish had stuff like this when i was a kid.
big kid now cant wait to buy next series , me and my daughter love it so so funny , bit gory for the younger kids but any kids , adults over 10 will love .
just be care full when buy as there is the animated series avaliable to buy and that is no where near as good as the tv series . well worth the money .
on 27 November 2013
This TV series is fantastic!
I first caught it round a friends when they had the CBBC channel on. I was instantly hooked.
I've been seeking it out ever since on iPlayer and now bought the DVD.
It's not just for children. If anything, the jokes are aimed more at the adults watching with the children! The history is also interesting and accurate as well. I've learned more than I care to admit from these shows...
And having just won it's fourth consecutive Bafta, it's critically acclaimed as well.
I'd highly recommend this to anyone with (or without) kids!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 September 2010
This is one of those shows I like watching with my 8 year old. It's informative, fun, and all the actors are superb. It doesn't talk down to kids or simplify it so much it becomes absurd. The songs are a real highlight: I find myself singing these more than any Top 40 songs. This series is what BBC kids does best---we want more more more! More programming like this for kids and less screaming shouting nonsense. A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++