Customer reviews

on 19 May 2012
Homesickness is actually a normal experience, and there are practical things we should and should NOT do to help. If you've ever wondered if it is more helpful to phone your homesick child, or NOT to do so, this book offers compassionate advice and psychologically sound reasons for it.

I've been fortunate enough to hear Michael Thompson speak on a couple of occasions. "Homesick and Happy" is a thoroughly engaging, hopeful look at what happens when kids have the opportunity to practice being independent. This is an essential part of growing up.

Having suffered from severe homesickness in my own childhood, this book gave me a lot of ideas about how it happened, what it meant, and what I might be able to do for a child now that the tables are turned and I am a teacher who takes students on trips.

Children change while they are away from home--and this is as it should be. This book offers parents a new perspective on their role in the transitions their children need to make, necessarily away from them. His advice is practical and wise; and applies to everything from summer camp, to school trips, to seeing a 19-year-old through the first year of college. I am delighted to have discovered this book, and eager to recommend it to anyone who has an interest in helping children grow up healthy, happy, resilient, and confident.