TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 December 2012
The projects in this book have a very fresh, dare one say trendy, look to them but in fact you could easily pick your fabrics to go with any kind of interior. Many obviously have that "shabby-chic" or "minxy-vintage" look about them, but others could be adapted to go with period interiors or the ultra-modern. This makes it a book which will be useful to the skint of all tastes, not just those fans of the current rage for "home-crafting".

The level of skill required varies, but I would say it's suitable for those who've already done a bit of sewing and are ready to improve their level of competence, or the bright and resourceful who are happy to learn. Some projects, such as the home-made ironing board cover in the fabric of your choice, are so blindingly obvious that I am appalled I never thought of it for myself - however, it is just because we often DON'T think of these things for ourselves, that we need a book like this.

If you are an absolute novice, you may find some of the instructions more opaque than you would like. The author also has a website with more images and illustrations, which I'm sure some readers will find helpful. If you're an experienced needleperson, you'll welcome the ideas, the hints for doing things which may have thought of but not quite been able to work out, and the fresh way of presenting stuff which has featured in a thousand vintage sewing books but without this level of contemporary pzazz.

For really clear diagrams and tips on many of the basic skills featured, you couldn't do better than invest in a copy of The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing
on 16 January 2013
What a pathetic book! Absolutely nothing new, terminally boring, totally uninspiring. Even the sewing is almost unbelievably amateurish. If I were a cynic I would say it was merely a vehicle to try and sell someone's fabrics and a crib from the brilliant, `Soft Furnishings: " Ideas And Fabrics By Designers " by Tricia Guild (Oct 1980) ...the lampshade and other items are all but identical. Now that book was ahead of its day, very inspirational and totally professional.
on 15 September 2015
Good suggestions for window treatments and lovely photographs. Slightly too much focus on Ms Arbuthnott's (admittedly lovely) extremely expensive fabrics for my taste. Skimpy on detail but fine for a reasonably confident sewer.
on 3 June 2014
I do love craft books that are easy to follow, and this is one of them.

Filled with projects that are easy to replicate even for a novice like me, you will soon find yourself enthused to carry out more and more home-based projects and relish in your achievements.

Gorgeous photographs run through this book and my friend has already absconded with it, so it must be good as she's no crafter.
on 4 March 2015
Lovely book to flick through and clear instructions. Haven't made anything yet but l'm looking forward to trying sone things out. May have a go first with sone cheap fabric before making the real things.
on 3 December 2014
I have bought this as a Christmas present for my mum who has recently got into crafts and sewing. The book looks very informative and beautifully put together, I know she will love it and enjoy making interiors from it.
on 11 January 2014
This is a brilliant book for the experienced or not so experienced as it explains in simple terms and shows in detail. Lots of good ideas for things to make for presents and for your own home. I would recommend this book. Makes an ideal gift - I purchased one for myself and then another as a Christmas gift.
on 10 March 2013
Was so excited when I ordered this but disappointed when it arrived. It uses all her fabrics - seems like a sales drive! Not much original in this book - seen it all before.
on 14 December 2012
This book is a must if you want to make beautiful home furnishing things for your home.The instructions are very clear and illustrations easy to understand.The photographs give a very good idea of the finished product made with the gorgeous Vanessa Arbuthnott fabrics
on 27 December 2012
I was lucky to receive this book for Christmas and can't wait to start making some of the projects.
It has some lovely ideas and very easy to follow instructions, with pictures so you can actually see
what you are supposed to be doing, if like me you are sometimes unsure. I love Vanessa Arbuthnott
fabrics but everything in the book can be made using fabrics in any budget.

If you like making your own soft furnishings this would be a great book to add to your collection.