on 23 February 2006
I would very much agree with the reader from Bristol. I found this book had as much information as a B&Q pamphlet. A lot of talk but little practical advice. I am currently converting my loft and found nothing in this book that advanced my own limited knowledge. The advice to seek a professional builder is hardly what you'd expect from a loft conversion hand book. If you're thinking of this book i'd say 'don't waste your money.'
on 26 June 2005
When searching for a book on loft conversions, I was looking to gain knowledge about techniques, joinery, alternatives. I was looking for a book with enough depth so that I could either do some of it myself or understand what it takes to build it. Having read this book, I felt that the author sounded like a builder, dying to get to the paragraph when he can crack a patronising joke, ranting about the difficulties of conversions with the conclusion "you better get a professional to do it for you" always ringing in your ears. I would rather make that decision myself and even if I were to get a builder to do it, I was looking to read up on the subject so that I become better aware of where my chosen "professional" is taking the all-too-prevalent cow-boy's short cut. The diagrams and illustrations either show the fact that the publisher was saving on pages or the author cannot communicate with pictures and was not really concerned about going into detail. In short: a pontificating builder throws a few pages together with a testimonial of his opinions. Felt more like a brochure to promote builders than literature that would allow you a glimpse into the intricacies of building a loft conversion.
on 22 February 2004
This book was a vital part of the process which I went through in order to convert my loft. It offers a good insight into all the factors that must be considered before starting and those that must be tackled along the way. There is still a further need to read other publications in order to be able to complete the process, but this is an excellent starting point.
on 11 March 2010
A very handy and well illustrated book that will help anyone intending converting their home. I found it very helpful, and so have many of my friends.
on 5 February 2015
an interesting read well worth the cost
on 14 May 2015
fab
on 19 February 2005
Great book has enlightens the in-experienced in home renovation and extensions. It highlights inportant points for homeowners to look for in professionals and builders alike. It presents essential info in a easy format whilst allowing the reader the think how it affect his/her own build. A1 book for information and that wee helping hand