on 24 August 2013
I am struggling to read this Collins NRSV without increased strength of my usual reading specs so I thought some extra information might help anyone else with less than perfect vision.
I am definitely no printing expert but having done a few experiments I believe the font used approximates to something around Times New Roman 9.0 to 9.5.
on 23 June 2008
I purchased this New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) of the Bible because I wanted a cheap hard-copy version of the Apocrypha. (My preferred New International Version (NIV) does not include an Apocrypha.)

I've never reviewed a Bible but, at the risk of suffering delusions of grandeur, I couldn't resist this one. If you're not familiar with the NRSV translation, a quick search within Amazon will turn up three or four titles which include Amazon's excellent `Search Inside' feature...

First, I have always gripped about buying modern, quality translations of the Bible because they're often expensive (though justifiably so). I bought a Zondervan NIV some time ago for a fiver, brand new from Amazon. I was dreadfully disappointed because I felt it was not `cheap and cheerful', it was `cheap and nasty'. It has a horrid "leatherette" (cornflake box cardboard) cover and, more importantly, an unpleasantly small font which is very uncomfortable to read.

So spending a tenner on this (softback) one was a bit of a gamble... The overall presentation is much better than my other budget buy: the cover is still thin cardboard, but it's more flexible and doesn't pretend to be leather. The paper is much higher quality though - whiter, crisper, smoother and thinner - and the font is slightly larger. I tried to find which font it is but there is no information. I would still have preferred a larger font - if this NRSV is produced in 8 point, then 9 would be an improvement - but because the paper is whiter the text contrasts much better which makes for a more comfortable read. There is also a basic cross-referencing system in the centre margin.

I went for the NRSV over the Revised Standard Version (RSV) because the NRSV uses sub-headings within the text (like the NIV) which really helps divide the text into digestible chunks and helps enormously with the context of each passage. The Apocrypha section, set appropriately between the Old and New Testaments, follows the same layout as the rest of the Bible, but I would have preferred a much more informative information page than the current five-sentence offering.

Still, it was the cheapest new NRSV I could find and it's a good quality product.
on 28 February 2015
Firstly - The bible is not 4.3 cm thick but more like 3.6 cm. This means the pages are much thinner than I expected.I purchased this bible because it stated 4.3 cm thick which I estimated that having 1100 or so pages would mean thicker paper. I already have an NRSV with thin paper which feels like it can tear too easy and is why I was shopping for another one. I also feel the font could be bolder; the size is ok but could be bolder.

However with all this said I still think the bible is good value for money. The hardcover is pretty good and the paper although thinner than I wanted, is fotunately strong and easy to turn without too much seethrough and means the book is not too heavy in the hand and more usable than my other one.
on 27 July 2013
Having in the past been used to using The King James Version. I enjoyed what I called the poetry of the language. However I like using this newer version, which is easier to understand, with clear print. As always Amazon delivered this when they said they
would
on 1 July 2014
I have been trying to get hold of a good NRVS Bible for some time and they were always either too expensive, too small a typeface, American versions....I decided to take a chance on this one and it just arrived (two days earlier than predicted).
It's a very nice Bible with a sturdy cover and removable dust jacket. The print is clear and large enough for me. I like the lay out very much - verses are clearly numbered and there are references down the centre of each page. The paper is quite thin which I like as it reminds me of my old Bible. All in all I am extremely happy.
My one gripe is that the bottom front corner is marked and the dust jacket damaged there too. This was not done in the post as it was securely inside an Amazon box which was intact. Shame about the damage but, as I need it for Bible studies this week, I will not be returning it.
on 14 April 2016
I wanted to compare two different Anglicised versions of the NRSV, this one was more expensive, it came with a dust jacket, There are two columns of text per page, with cross references contained in a central vertical column dividing the two main columns. I didn't like this, I thought it looked untidy. The dust jacket is a waste as in normal use the dust jacket becomes torn and shredded. I'd recommend removing the dust jacket. In conclusion I much preferred the cheaper Anglicised version ISBN-13: 978-0564033577
on 20 March 2014
This is a really good investment for leisurely reading or (like me) using it for studies. NRSV version I find the most understandable vocabulary while still being accurate to other versions such as the KJV
on 30 January 2012
Very fast delivery and the bible was exactly what I was I looking for. The hard cover is perfect and the fond size of the bible is good.
on 29 January 2015
There is much to recommend about this 2007 Collins version of the NRSV Oxford Bible. Dimensions 21.5 x 14.5 x 3.2 cm, pp1209.
You will immediately notice the quality of the boards (thick) covered in blue leatherette with a nice binding (comprising sewn sections and an effective glued backing). Inside this bible you will find that Collins have used a bespoke typesetting by Nigel Lynne which is easy to read and pleasing to the eye and does not suffer from show-through -it is a bit like an elongated Bookman-Times font. There are space saving margins and the centre reference column does not confuse the text. One thing that particularly impresses me, is the insertion of succinct paragraph titles which really help in locating paragraphs within chapters. There are also many blank pages at the end for your own workings.
The NRSV bible text is the latest 1995 version which the compilers have been availed of the year 2000 updates to the base texts. I am not going to bore you with details of this text (see my other reviews or just ask), suffice it to say that we have the approved and authorized English text from the most up to date sources; you will notice three endings to the gospel of St.Mark! This Collins version does not seem to contain the very many footnotes that are available in some versions of this text, but there are some. And regarding the centre column (cross referencing index) of the scripture, I have studied it in detail and found it to be a "work in progress"- that is to say, I do not know if it was generated by man or computer, but it is limited, scant and inaccurate for my purposes, however functional. For an example, Mt 13:10 does not reference any parts at all of Mk 4:10 on the purpose of parables and yet the chapter titles are even identical "the purpose of parables"?
Overall, this is a practical and sincere publication, printed in the UK, and quite nice. If Collins were to ever reprint this bible with an improved cross referencing system, and improved the quality of the painfully thin paper, then it would score amongst my favourites. The retail price of £14.99 is questionable, and the cost of the latest Oxford Bible with full concordance at £35.99 is out of my range... Perhaps look out for 2nd Hand ones.
on 19 March 2014
It was time I had a modern edition and the bible arrived in time for my reading on the following Sunday. The paper is thin so ,as I found, you have to be careful not to turn two pages at once!