- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
The Holocene: An Environmental History Paperback – 31 Jan 2014
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“In conclusion, we find the new edition highly recommendable to students and researchers but to those who are interested in how our modern environment came about and how human kind interacts with nature.” (Geologos Journal, 1 August 2015)
“All the sections are very well referenced, making this a good book for serious research or to dip into a particular area of interest to the reader. For a reference work it is surprisingly easy to just sit and read, which I did, and found it interesting through to the last page. I particularly liked the way a wide range of ideas and disciplines were brought together to form a coherent thread throughout the book.” (Proceedings of the Open University Geological Society, 1 April 2015)
“The text makes enjoyable reading, and although the author introduces many technical terms, they are all covered in a glossary at the end and included in the index. Summing Up: Highly recommended. Lower–division undergraduates and above; general readers.” (Choice, 1 October 2014)
“This excellent book should be mandatory reading for any student taking a palaeobased environmental change module, and academics will also very much enjoy reading Neil Roberts’ fine prose.” (The Holocene, 1 October 2014)
From the Back Cover
The Holocene provides students, researchers and lay–readers with the remarkable story of how the natural world has been transformed since the end of the last Ice Age around 15,000 years ago. This period has witnessed a shift from environmental changes determined by natural forces to those dominated by human actions, including those of climate and greenhouse gases. Understanding the environmental changes – both natural and anthropogenic – that have occurred during the Holocene is of crucial importance if we are to achieve a sustainable environmental future.
Revised and updated to take full account of the most recent advances, the third edition of this classic text includes substantial material on the scientific methods that are used to reconstruct and date past environments, as well as new concepts such as the Anthropocene. The book is fully–illustrated, global in coverage, and contains case studies, a glossary and more than 500 new references.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Archaeology
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Performing Arts
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Palaeontology
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Ecology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Earth Sciences
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Environment
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences