on 21 July 2014
Now let me just state that I HATE zombie romps. I never watch the films & avoid the books like the plague. I only read this book because it was free (sorry, Dean) BUT I was pleasantly surprised. Ignoring the zombification of the population, there was an excellent plot, deftly written. Also, the cause of the zombie like plague was ingenuitive (I know it's not a real word, but give me a break, I'm not an author!). Instead of the usual "oh it's a virus" with no explanation, Dean Crawford came up with the idea of a fungus being the root of it all & offered a detailed description of it & how it worked. Brilliant!
I don't want my loathing of zombies to detract from the main plot, which isn't overly original (sorry again, Dean), but it is solid and the characters are believable. This book kept me up late as I couldn't put it down sometimes!
All in all a good read.
on 21 August 2014
Scarily possible scenario. We rely so much on technology and embrace ideas that can extend our lives, eradicate disease etc., that we can open pandora's box. A fungal disease that is caused by our wetter, warmer environment enabling it to cross species to man, again could happen. This novel is a real page turner with some twists and turns included to keep the tension mounting. Highly recommended.
on 25 November 2013
I have always been a fan of science fiction but the concept of this novel is in a league of it's own. The plot line,it seems, is unique. Holograms have been covered before but not like this. The story starts out as a slow burn but it builds and builds. It is a female who becomes the most important character in this quite unusual and riveting tale. Everything about this extraordinary thriller from the title to the cover design is cleverly thought out and, I believe, all the author's own work including self publication to kindle, as was his previous novel Eden. Having followed his blog (worth a read in itself) I have nothing but praise for this young man and his efforts. I feel sure that for those who don't have access to Kindle this novel will be traditionally published and on the shelves for everyone to enjoy sooner rather than later. Well done
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 January 2014
Humanity is in steep decline, its numbers destroyed by The Falling, a virulent disease that gets its name from the flesh that rots off the body and from the final, fast act of death itself. While the last populations seal themselves into quarantined cities, the very rich and powerful can benefit from a solution to the increasing risk of this dreadful death thanks to hi-tech business Re-Volution. With the brain itself tagged with instructions, the instant of death is also the moment of rebirth. The body is resurrected as a hologram, lauded by some as a new species in its own right - the holo sapiens - while denigrated by poorer homo sapiens as holosaps. As the numbers of holosaps increase and living, breathing humans decrease, a movement grows to pass power to this new species. But what if there could be a cure to The Falling? What if holo sapiens are evolving? Is it too late for homo sapiens?

In Holo Sapiens, the extremely talented thriller writer Dean Crawford creates an exciting blend of science fiction, medical thriller, apocalyptic drama and mystery. This recipe, when blended well, is difficult to resist and Crawford certainly succeeds here. Focusing on London, the opening pages bring to horrible life the moment when Britain's capital seals itself off from its plagued citizens, a moment that coincides with visionary Professor Anderson's awareness that holo sapiens are more than they seem. But his attempts to pull the plug are thwarted and, as the novel movies into the future, we witness the repercussions of the proliferation of corpses reborn as holographic life forms.

Arianna Volkov is a living psychologist whose job is to ease holo sapiens into their new transparent existence. This is a difficult process for them and yet humans such as Arianna have little empathy for this new species. Arianna is the adopted daughter of Alexei Volkov, a powerful, wealthy man who knows more about Anderson's research than is good for him. When he is murdered, Arianna has no choice but to go on the run, caught between each and every faction, all of whom believe that she is in possession of the secret that had Alexei killed. But when the rich die, it's just the beginning.

The story of our heroine Arianna is combined with others - notably the story of Marcus and Kerry who are doctors investigating the origins of The Falling in Ground Zero, Louisiana. I love this strand through the novel. The science of the disease mixes with the dynamic between the two characters - and their resident holo sapien helper - and through them we see the world outside the quarantined cities or sanitised laboratories. This is a terrifying place and matters aren't helped by other forces at play. At times, this part of Holo Sapiens becomes a thoroughly exciting monster novel and it had me on the edge of my seat. Throughout, Crawford is as good writing about science as he is in creating thrills.

Holo Sapiens isn't a perfect novel. There is some occasional noticeable repetition in phrasing and the scenes featuring the British Parliament, including the cliched name of the Prime Minister (Tarquin St John), are less convincing. As for the rest, I was more than happy to suspend my disbelief.

There is so much going on in Holo Sapiens, whether in London or Louisiana, whether among the living or among the dead. There is a great number of intriguing characters, each with an interesting back history. But in Holo Sapiens, Dean Crawford ties the strings together with a skill and an empathy (often quite moving) that, for me, lifts Holo Sapiens above his last independent thriller, Eden. I particularly liked the fact that Crawford is not afraid to kill off (permanently) important characters. This might be an invented world but many of its rules are rooted in reality. Holo Sapiens is the first in a series but it is a complete and page-turning novel. It ends well while leaving some hints as to where we may be taken next. Roll on Book 2.
on 21 March 2015
I just want to show my support for this author. Currently I have all 15 books and have read 13 of them. There are another 4 on their way, God help me. I will buy them all and I will enjoy them all as I have the 13 so far. Think you can see the rather transparent plot? Pretty obvious what will happen next? Not with this guy, he's got a great imagination; works for me anyway. Where he finds his time to write so much is beyond me but Im very glad that he does. Hollywood is coming! Sorry this is not a helpful review for the individual book but Im behind on reviews too. I will try to review just after I finish a book in future. Enjoy!
on 3 March 2014
Loved. The scary sci fi future of humanity a very different story that seems to be just verging on the possible
on 19 August 2014
A typical Dean Crawford book - which is why I like it. It has a good premise and storyline, well draw characters that make sense and a good sense of pacing without getting bogged down in too much technobabble. Yes, the lead villain is a bit too much like "muah, ha ha - now I will tell you what my plot is as you are going to die!!" but apart from that, another solid entry from Dean. Am very looking forward to the next instalment. Keep,'em coming, Dean!!! :-)
on 12 March 2015
I found the description of hurting other people unpleasant I would rather just have the mystery and be vying for the Goodies to spot their enemies' machinations. It was a good read that I didn't want to leave. And a satisfying ending.
on 23 May 2014
Superb again Dean. I need more. Give me morreeeeeeeee. Is there a book 2. If not. What's next? He he
on 26 June 2015
An original take on the whole life afterlife quandary
Vividly brutal approach
Loose ends tied up nicely
Well worth reading