Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 February 2013
An exceptional book, filled with beautiful colour illustrations. A bit thin on individual designers bio's, but it certainly makes up with an archive of sketches and drawings.
If you interested in film, design, and or fashion this is a must have.
on 1 September 2013
An overall interesting book for costume design lovers!

An *strictly personal* "but", though, I love pre-1960s film costume design, which I considert its golden era, and I feel there was too much of the post-1970 sketches, which I personally consider rather uninteresting, all the more compared with the sheer clory of what went before: Still, this is really no real ground to complaint as the very title states that it covers 100 years of it.

In short: Good book, but if you are more fond of classic film costume design, be aware that it's only about 50% of the contents.
on 6 January 2013
I was very excited to receive this book and I was for the most part quite happy with it. The Long introduction is very informative and in depth on the history of costume illustration. I had no idea that sketches had as variable a history as the costumes they inspired. I already know quite a bit about the History of Hollywood Costume design and I like another reviewer felt at times the facts were exaggerated a little. As for the Illustrations, For the most part they are a brilliant selection to showcase in the book. At times I felt more sketches from classic Films could have been Included. For example,One adrian sketch for the 1938 costume drama "Marie Antoinette" was included. Since over 3000 lavish costumes were created for this film and many sketches survive, I was disappointed that more were not included. I also think that there were more than enough sketches from contemporary film. If more golden age costume sketches were included it could have fulfilled all my expectations.
on 20 March 2014
A very insightful and inspiring book into the art of costume illustration. For anyone with an interest costume design or film history, I would highly recommend this book. It is packed full of wonderful illustrations and information on a wide variety of designers, both past and present. A very good buy.
on 12 May 2013
Lovely book that lives up to it's cover, lots of brilliant examples of how Hollywood designers created their iconic designs.
on 2 February 2016
fantastic gift for those interested in fashion and fashion history
on 17 December 2012
My nephew is an A level student doing theatre and film design. This was on his wish list. Went to Amazon and there it was. I'm sure he'll love it
on 25 November 2015