Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 4 April 2017
This author gives an authentic ring to his stories, having been with LAPD. This is the second I have read, after Hollywood Crows and this is better , although Crows itself was a good read. The wackos, dopers and desperadoes come thick and fast as does the cops' laconic world-weary way of dealing with them. His stories are more from the cop perspective rather than Elmore Leonard's which tend to be mainly (but not always)from the bad guy with a bit of good or vice versa. Never mind, our hero - Officer Nate Weiss - takes us around LA on an entertaining, sometimes thrilling ride as a sorry collection of would-be art thieves and junkies try to rip off a wealthy Hollywood widow who finds our Nate an arresting prospect. Is that a gun in his pocket? Read it and see!
I have to agree with one review which stated the kindle formatting was rather bad. With misspellings and a lot of words with hyphens that should not be there. I felt there was too much use of 'police speak' and initials of which I could not sometimes fathom. There were a lot of words with unneeded capital letters and in several cases letters missing from the end of one word and then added to the next. In all not one of this authors best books and the usual high standards of the Kindle were not there.
on 16 June 2017
A brilliant read
on 25 March 2015
Good book, excellent read.
on 9 January 2011
I haven't read any of the many books by this author before and I'm not really quite sure what to make of this!

Initially, it seemed very difficult to get into - to the extent that I actually abandoned it about quarter of the way through and read another book. On returning to it a few days later, I did find I had a better feel for the style of narrative.

The fundamental plot seems to be drawn around an ex con, an art dealer and a pair of drug addicted thieves. Various police officers are characterised with particular emphasis on 'Hollywood Nate Weiss' who is also an aspiring actor. Based in Hollywood, I think the true foundation of the book stems from the authors experiences when he was a serving Officer of the LAPD supplemented by other officers anecdotal tales as it also recounts the many peculiar, indeed weird, situations encountered by LAPD officers. One instance that particularly springs to mind which won't give away any of the storyline is officers attending to break up a brawl between Superman, Marilyn Monro, Catwoman and other Street Characters.

Once I got about halfway through the book, things did seem to pull together but I didn't really find the story flowed satisfactorily enough for me. The ending was a bit bizarre as it didn't truly appear to tie up the loose ends - but perhaps there is more in a sequel?

The expertise to tell a story is certainly there - I'm just not fully sure if it was my cup of tea. Perhaps it's just that the utter weirdness of Hollywood life is just a bit too much for me! However, now that I have become accustomed to the style of writing and can see where the author is coming from, I may well try another of his books in the not too distant future.
on 22 August 2011
Hollywood Hills is the fourth in the Hollywood Station series and follows the formula of the others - that is to say one or two main story lines punctuated by what are clearly anecdotes from LAPD officers, of whom JW was once one himself. These are easy page turners and some of the anecdotes are extraordinary and very funny too. For me the formula was beginning to run dry by this fourth book but it is amusing and interesting enough.

Or would be if the Kindle variant was readable. As with one or two other Kindle variants I have tried to read recently, the formatting is an absolute disgrace. Regions within chapters are concatenated and, in this particular book, words are sometimes bifurcated to begin new sentences. It is very hard to read. Not as bad as some, to be sure, the worst culprit in my experience being one of Iain Banks' Kindle conversions, but bad enough to be mightily irritating. This is not, regrettably, uncommon for Kindle books. After finishing this one I turned to the Crimson Petal and the White, which I wished to re-read, having read the book when it came out in 2002. This suffers from the same problem, whereby scene changes within paragraphs are not separated, although at least it is possible to go with the flow. Nevertheless, on returning from holiday I have canned the Kindle in favour of the hard copy to finish the book.

Now I think this is a big problem for Amazon because if the company wishes people to move from hard to electronic copy it really must sort this out. This is emphatically not a new issue and whether the problem lies with the publisher or with Amazon is immaterial to me because I shall simply stop buying kindle books unless they get it right between them very soon. Right now, the only attraction for me of the Kindle is convenience, particularly when travelling, but even this may be foregone if they continue to irritate me with formatted tracts which would disgrace a first writers' draft for publication.
If you love a crime thriller, then this title by Joseph will hit the spot as Viv Daley is pulled into the glitz and glamour of the jet set in this police procedural novel that will hit all the marks to keep the most ardent crime fan happy. It has some good solid twists, the principle character is believable and when added to a no nonsense attitude, it's a story that will more than please fans of this type of crime tale.

Add to this an author who knows how the wring the reader through the mangle to get them to the pay off and overall this story was one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Great fun all in and definitely a title I'm lending to my grandfather.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 January 2013
This isn't too bad, but it seems there is a fair degree of padding as Mr Wambaugh relates various little vignettes that, whilst interesting and in some cases, shocking enough in themselves, divert attention away from any flow in the narrative. This device has worked well in the previous books in the series but it is ladled on a bit too thickly in this book, almost like he ran out of ways the actual plot could go and he had to resort to true life stories from the LAPD annals or apocryphal "cop tales" to pad the book out. I stuck with it though as the series has some very interesting characters and you do want to see what becomes of them, so in that respect it is a bit of a page turner, just not one of his best.
on 18 December 2014
The whole Hollywood series is brilliant. While each story stands alone as a great story, there is a new layer of depth to reading them in order. I am a big fan of Joseph Wambaugh since reading the New Centurions in the 1970s. His book, "The Onion Field" stands out as one of the best non-fiction crime stories ever written, along with Trueman Capote's "In Cold Blood". As a former cop, I find him one of the few police novelists that truly captures the danger, tragedy and humour that befalls cops working the streets, along with the likes of Michael Connelly, Jo Nesbo and Jussi Adler-Olsen.
on 24 November 2012
I find Joseph Wambaugh's latest books have got rather samey-samey - too much Hollywood and the story-line dragged out.
Unlike his first stories which were really interesting. I could read and re-read The New Centurions again and again, also The Onion Field or others - but very dissapointed with the latest batch of his writings. After having read Hollywood Station and Hollywood Crows I found his last one - Hollywood Hills - hard going too, the story lines not that interesting.