Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Aug 2012 11:02:13 BDT
Pitrelli says:
or alterative title: Anyone else miss the good ol' days of vanilla and TBC?

I just cant keep up with the changes to this game over the years and I feel this is another change of direction from Blizzard........ and imo its not for the better.

Ok let me level with you first, I've played WoW on and off since 6 months after vanilla release. I played and loved the hell out of it in both vanilla and TBC but found I became bored easily in WoTLK and Cataclysm..........MoP unfortunately continues that trend for me.

Part of it is I don't think I'm part of the target audience these days. I think the WoW I knew and loved is dead and buried and in its place is a completely different beast. The inclusion of pandas and what I can only describe as pokemon style pet battles has just tipped things over the edge for me and it seems blizzard are more focused on attracting new younger players into the game than appealing to its older players.

From beta the game seemed pleasant enough however with the more child like appeal to it I think my time in Azeroth has come to an end. Its still a great game but for us vets who loved the original game and TBC I fear this is a step too far. I may pick this up once its in the bargain bin further down the line but until then I'll be making the switch to GW2.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Or are you happy with all the changes?

Posted on 25 Aug 2012 17:14:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Aug 2012 17:19:45 BDT
R. Nowrie says:
I wouldn't take your opinion seriously in the slightest. You gave GW2 a 5 star rating in July with the only time you had on it being the BETA. That's an extremely bias viewpoint and one I'm quite frankly sick and tired of hearing. You enjoy " Your " game we'll enjoy ours, I like to visit amazon without seeing stupid overused comments like yours, if I want that I can visit my friendly neighbour hood internet forum which is where this discussion is better suited for.

I would also like to add this is classed as " Customer Discussions " You are not a customer as indicated by your own post. You're here simply to express your ill feelings and provoke a response among fans of WoW.

Posted on 25 Aug 2012 17:40:57 BDT
Pitrelli says:
Umm well yes I've been in both betas so have been able to compare them quite handily.

No need to cry it is after all only an opinion............ and you are correct I'm not a customer as I cancelled my MoP pre order ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2012 18:19:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Aug 2012 21:19:50 BDT
R. Nowrie says:
No need to cry? Opposing a completely one sided view which is evident from your initial post isn't considered crying.

But I'll stoop to your level just this once, I won't be buying GW2 because it's an over hyped pile of trash endorsed by fair weather MMOers like you. You drift from game to game and hold no real loyalties as evident by your own profile, odds are you'll drift to elder scrolls online next and give that a 5 star.

But back to a more mature stance, this discussion is for Customers of MOP you came here to bash the game and endorse GW2 that's the definition of trolling, to provoke a response. And with the post above you said it yourself you're not a customer, therefore any further responses here are for trollish intents.

Posted on 26 Aug 2012 08:49:43 BDT
Pitrelli says:
No this is for potential customers who want to discuss the game. And I fail to see how I promote gw 2. This wasn't a gw2 vs wow post if it was I could have slated wow for many dated things but I didn't.

As I previously said I've been a wow player since launch so its doubtful I would troll a game I have invested so much time in. Sounds like you are a butt hurt fanboy who cant take people criticizing their game.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2012 14:18:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Aug 2012 15:34:22 BDT
R. Nowrie says:
" Butt hurt fanboy " And you have the Gall to say the expansions going down a route to appeal for kids? Calling someone names over the internet hardly adds anything to your maturity nor does it make you differ from the same kids you claim the game is trying to cater it to and your post was nothing to do with mists of pandaria apart from a brief mention. You were looking for people who share your opinion. A very nostalgia centred opinion.

Saying it's doubtful you'll troll a game simply because you have time invested in it means nothing. You're happy to come here criticising the game and bringing your nostalgic views into it but you don't specify the problems with it. Instead you judge the expansion based upon a very short time you probably played on the beta and from the look of your original post your mind was already made up in terms of this expansion.

So why are you here, really? All I see is you attempting to assume you speak for us all by saying things such as " Its still a great game but for us vets who loved the original game and TBC I fear this is a step too far. " Like you I played back during the the so called "glory days" and I couldn't disagree with you more.

Your post is nothing more than the typical " I dislike this expansion so now everyone else must as well " style post.

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 13:13:31 BDT
Andy M says:
I have played since vanilla and pretty much continuously since then. There are aspects of WoW that I don't agree with now but there is also a great deal of things that are better than before and it is a bit too easy to look on it with rose-tinted glasses and not see the negatives of the old world.

40 man raids were a nightmare to run. free time was spent gathering materials for flasks, fire resist gear, and other consumables. But there wasn't a lot else to do. Being forced as a paladin to only play healer was hardly fun.

Cataclysm was weaker than other expansions I feel. So much time was spent in the old world revamp (which as I already had max level characters I didn't actually see much of) that end-game suffered and the grind-fest of Firelands dailies was a chore. LFR allowed those who cannot raid to have a chance to but the loot roll system was awful and brought out the worst in people and only DS as a raid for far too long.

But in Pandaria it feels that the mistakes of Cataclysm have been taken into account and so much more is added to end-game. Pet battles (which are optional) are a way to do something else, the farming mini-games and many more dailies. A much improved LFR loot system and more raids to try should help

I don't like the constant increase in player power, the squish should have happened now rather than later and I think cross-realm is the wrong approach for lower populated servers as I think the AHs are going to be even worse but all in all I am prepared to give it a go. It is unfortunate that the player base has also become a bit more nasty but I have had friends leave because they don't have anything to do once they max-level so I hold out hope that MOP will bring them back.

Pandas I can appreciate are seen as a poor choice as a race for the expansion. They have been in the warcraft universe for a long time though. We'll see how they fit in but the game seems to be heading for a darker direction than pandas make it appear and I have a feeling as the patchs come through that the game is going to get very dark as Alliance/Horde conflicts heat up.

I think really the only thing now that might make me leave the game is if they ever went free to play.

Posted on 5 Sep 2012 14:08:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2012 14:09:29 BDT
Dan Gllebitz says:
I love Kung Fu Pandas but,

I think for the next one they should bring in Sid the Sloth from the Ice Age movies. The kids would love that.

GW2 is awesome!

True Story

Posted on 7 Sep 2012 14:06:12 BDT
N. Hanes says:
In MoP there is more for everyone to do.

Raider - do hc
Social raider - do normal, see about hc later on
No time for raiding but are still damn good - the new dungeons are for you to compete on leaderboards (so they say will come)
Prefer PvP - ordinary, Arena, RBG depending on your inclination/competitiveness
For those who dabble but still want to see content - LFR

The new dungeons are the interesting bit - its the PvE equivalent of arena teams. So you dont have 10-12 regular guildees but you and your friends still want to do stuff. Now you just need 5 and see how much you can push to compete against others on a level platform. Normalised gear means those heroic raiders cant get an advantage by outgearing you.

I started in vanilla in time for BWD but didnt progress to AQ40 or NAXX, missed out on Sunwell in BC...and some of those reasons are pure admin which we're better off without - attunement being set up in a difficult manner for guilds to manage (imo still have them, but make them a guild ach) and so the majority of raiders didnt get to see that content, let alone everyone. Now we can all see it, but choose the level we want to play the game at. 8/8hc DS25 for main, normal for main alts, LFR for those I have least time for. More options than ever with raids that other MMO would die to be able to equal in scope, style and tuning.

Posted on 7 Sep 2012 20:12:06 BDT
BeRo says:
I like the fact that MoP has a lot of divergent things for you to follow, so there's no more "if you can't do X, you can't do anything" that Vanilla had. Since Vanilla, we've seen new zones, new quests, new skills (Archeology, Jewelcrafting) and Daily Quests, MoP will be bringing us hundreds of new dailies to do, a way of gaining reputation for those who like fishing, farming, there's also the battle pets for those who like Pokemon, scenarios and challenges for those who are uber-elite at the game, and the inclusion of a raid finder, so that more people can enjoy the end content - in addition to the new zones, instances and levels that an expansion traditionally brings.

Posted on 12 Sep 2012 13:01:53 BDT
I'm done with MMO's and PC gaming in general. It's very sad that MoP pre-order and Guild Wars 2 are the only PC games in the top 50 PC and Video Games on Amazon. One of the reasons I don't get to see Resident Evil 6 on a PC any time soon. Piracy has played a big part in that, which is why MMO's are the last bastion of games on a PC as you have to log in on a paid account in order to play. Looking after a PC can also be too demanding at times with firewalls, opening ports on routers, spyware, adware, viruses, updating and everything else. In this austere time do I really want to devote time to playing an all-consuming game on top of making sure my PC is safe and fast AND pay a monthly fee.

Posted on 14 Sep 2012 16:44:52 BDT
Chris S says:
World of Warcraft - Carebear expansion, i'll pass.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2012 10:52:50 BDT
Complete gibberish Nowrie - you misunderstand the purpose of this discussion and the difference between original wow and dumbed down kung fu pandas
I hate to say it but wow has gone and is continuing to go downhill
incidentally I heard a rumour that the next expansion was called 3 stooges with combat being replaced with just 3 keys - slap in face, poke in eye and slap on head

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 01:23:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2012 01:26:37 BDT
R. Nowrie says:
" I hate to say it but wow has gone and is continuing to go downhill "

Congratulations you make the same mistake most complainers on the internet do. You enter a discussion armed with your opinion and attempt to use it as fact maybe for you it's gone down hill but there's a lot of people who will challenge that view, it's called differences of opinion. As for the rest I cannot help but laugh at you. The use of " Kung Fu Panda " is often seen as the childish way of hating on this game.

I would also like to note that this on amazon is considered " Mists of Pandaria - Customer Discussion. "

The OP came here to share a very nostalgic view and hoped for people to bro fist him in agreement which seemingly has backfired. If vanilla had not been touched over the last 8 years the game would of not managed to gather 12 million subscribers (at it's highest). Back then you had nothing to do but farm pvp, dungeons and raids and the PvP itself was a massive grindfest, if you went on holiday for two week your work would suffer due to the decay system on the old honour system, once coming back you would be forced to pvp again in order to make up for the two weeks decay. Outside PvP you found yourself in Tyr's hand as there was no reliable source of income (unlike today), tyr's hand was always completely backed on my realm.

If WoW had not been touched since vanilla it would be in the same class as everquest, ultima and eve. All games advance and evolve, not everyone likes change as you evidently don't but that doesn't make anything you or the OP say fact, it makes it an opinion. I'll quote a recent statement from Sir Alex Ferguson " It is a minority. But in society there is a minority wanting to be heard." this is exactly how I would class you and the OP.

If you no longer play WoW then leave, people will still enjoy it regardless to your opinion or my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 08:36:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2012 08:38:16 BDT
Dan Gllebitz says:
"The use of " Kung Fu Panda " is often seen as the childish way of hating on this game""

By who? you? lol

It's a childrens expansion, that is clear to everybody!

How about you stop getting so butt hurt when people give an opinion different to your own. Or mabye you could even start your own thread called ' I love Mists of Pandaria'
Or even better, get a life!

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 11:40:35 BDT
R. Nowrie says:
I believe it is you who should get a life Dan. 0/5 people thought your original post here was contributing at all to this discussion.

" I love Kung Fu Pandas but, I think for the next one they should bring in Sid the Sloth from the Ice Age movies. The kids would love that. GW2 is awesome! True Story "

That right there shows how grown up you are right? Honestly, it's you who should get a life. You're adding nothing to this discussion at all, you're simply trolling. If a response is constructive towards the game, I'm content to hear that opinion and I might even agree with it. I will never agree with someone who can only come up with " lol Panda's "

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 12:18:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2012 12:26:21 BDT
Dan Gllebitz says:
I've got a life, thanks!
In the real world! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 12:46:54 BDT
What is Nowrie's problem apart from "my opinion is the only one that matters"?
If someone has played gw2 - beta or not - then their opinion is relevant
What one likes is by definition good - if you like a game then it's a good one!
It may well be that KFP turns out OK - I'll know when I've tried it but .......
it does not fill me with pleasurable tinglings as the idea of death knights did and I don't like the new talent system - it is dumbed down
The whole point of a discussion is that people have different views otherwise it is not a discussion - perhaps Nowrie would be happier with his own thread where he can just talk to himself

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 13:04:11 BDT
Dan Gllebitz says:
Well said!

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 13:30:22 BDT
R. Nowrie says:
Dan Gllebitz you are nothing more than the tag along troll. Unable to come up with anything reasonable to say. You also called people nerds for disagreeing with you before you edited your post. I'm sure you'll deny it however, you are no longer worth the effort in responding to, as of now you are on ignore.

As for Phillip Chadwick, I'm not saying that my opinion is the only one that matters at all, you're basically assuming that. I like constructive debate, I haven't seen that here yet from you, the OP or Dan. Instead Dan came here, didn't mention WoW at all and decided to praise GW2. You came here and flamed the game simply because you don't like the direction it's going in. Did you even read my post at all? Games must advance and evolve as must everything in life, if you do not like this then leave, what purpose does it serve for you to be here? It just goes to show maturity of the disgruntled players these days. Your argument will only be shared with people who also dislike the game. Saying " lol pandas " or " GW2 is awesome " barely adds anything to this discussion at all.

If you bothered to read my post Chadwick you would see I discussed how the game was back in Vanilla, you simply neglected to do so and ran off with your assumptions.

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 14:07:46 BDT
Dan Gllebitz says:
You Mad Bro?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2012 10:27:50 BDT
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
do you even know what "flaming" is?
and you think that kung fu pandas is advancing wow?
my opinion will only be shared by people who agree with me!? well duh that's what agree and share mean
I read your post - something you really should try - and see little point in differentiating old with new wow, if you played it you already know
also note I did not mention pokemon pets as if last patch changes were not already depressing enough
where did you get your opinion that gw2 is "an over hyped pile of trash endorsed by fair weather MMOers" btw - tried it?
fact is I will continue playing wow (and reserving the right to criticise it) along with gw2, d3 (don't start me on online only playing of a sp game) and 1 or 2 others - I have too much time invested in multiple chars and still enjoy it - apart from some of the idiots who play it (get braced for the inane questions in the start areas?) and guild /gold spammers etc..
but I am a tad sorry I committed to an annual sub

Posted on 24 Sep 2012 10:27:55 BDT
Griz says:
Everything wrong with the MMO community now up there. People who have quit are more likely to troll because they miss something they feel they have lost and they resent people who haven't. It's actually kinda similar to the "awkward relationship break up". Is it freaky people get that way about a game? Sure, but it's sadly also human nature. You can't be upset with something you don't care about and the bitterness and hatred is an expression of that ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2012 13:34:03 BDT
I think it's also about how much time people have invested in something, how much they have enjoyed it and that they can see themselves getting less out of it
Rather like a TV series that's deteriorating, film sequels and so on - the difference is that with an MMO you have actually put something in as well (virtually and in reality)
I think WOW generates this sort of discussion because it is the most popular and most played of MMOGs

Posted on 26 Sep 2012 14:40:07 BDT
Luke Owen says:
Hang on... Nowrie you were complaining about someone being negative about MoP stating its a biased view point and then go on to say, 'I won't be buying GW2 because it's an over hyped pile of trash'. Hypocritical much, you people never cease to amaze me...

I personally played WoW for 5 years, from 2006 all the way up to 2011 but cancelled my account back in December. I played the MoP beta and it really just felt like more of the same. After playing GW2 for the past 3-4 weeks I really cannot see myself ever going back to WoW, it just feels old and archaic in comparrison. WoW was a great game and I enjoyed my time (espeically my 10 man raiding guild made up entirely or RL friends - That was a lot of fun storming through ICC in WotLK).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, if people think GW2 is better than WoW or WoW is better than GW2 then fine, people will also think both are poor and not worth playing. I personally just don't think MoP is worth the £8.99 a month to play, if it was F2P then maybe but of course that will never happen :) .
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  24 Aug 2012
Latest post:  10 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

This discussion is about
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC DVD)
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC DVD) by Blizzard (Mac OS X Intel, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.3 out of 5 stars (160)