A History of Reading (Globalities) Hardcover – 28 Mar 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Of the three volumes in Steven Roger Fischer's hugely ambitious and sedulously executed trilogy, the first two dealt with language and writing. This one, however, is the most suggestive and open, dedicated not only to the technicalities of his subject but to the everyday experience of communication... Fischer lets his historical readers speak for themselves, ceaselessly seduced by textual magic The Independent Starting from the Bronze Age and ending with modern emails and a possible future of e-books, Steven Fischer's A History of Reading takes in a wonderful diversity of things Nature It's an exciting story, which the author tells clearly and chronologically Daily Telegraph --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
About the Author
Steven Roger Fischer is Director of the Institute of Polynesian Languages and Literatures in Auckland, New Zealand. "A History of Reading" is the final book in Fischer s trilogy for Reaktion, which also includes "A History of Language" and "A History of Writing.""
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Humour
- Books > Languages > English as a Foreign Language > Literacy
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Studies
- Books > Reference > Language > Reading Skills
- Books > Reference > Publishing & Books > Books & Reading
- Books > Reference > Publishing & Books > Literacy