History of the Hour: Clocks and Modern Temporal Orders Paperback – 8 May 1998
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
However, the author is NOT writing for a general public. There seems to be an underlying assumption that not only is the reader already intimately familiar with clocks, but that the reader is also well-versed in a variety of European languages. Random phrases in Latin, German, and Italian are thrown around, with no note as to what the translation means. The book could have benefited from footnotes to clarify meanings.
At times, the book also felt disjointed, jumping around from one time period to the next and then back again. That made it hard to keep track of the chronology, somewhat ironic in a book about the "history of the hour." (Unless the entire book is supposed to be a parable of the clock's/the hour's development, in which case it goes over my head.)
All in all, I would recommend the book only for people who have the patience for dense books, and are willing to look up all the foreign words the author has not bothered to explain.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Home & Garden > Antiques & Collectables > Antiques & Collectables by Subject > Clocks & Watches
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Production, Manufacturing & Operational > Materials & Industries
- Books > Science & Nature > Experiments, Instruments & Measurements > Time
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Industrial Chemistry & Manufacturing Technologies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology