A History of the English Language Paperback – 21 Mar 2002
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Comprehensive and balanced, this classic exploration of the history of the English language combines internal linguistic history and external cultural history-from the Middle Ages to the present. This market-leading text encourages readers to develop both an understanding of present-day English and an enlightened attitude toward questions affecting the language today.Features in the New Edition include:
- A thoroughly revised and updated Chapter 1, English Present and Future, reflecting the latest trends and statistics of the last ten years
- A new section in Chapter 10, Gender Issues and Linguistic Change, providing a balanced and current perspective on an important social topic
- Thorough revision of Chapter 11, The English Language in America, with updated material on African American Vernacular English
- An emphasis on the political, social, and cultural forces that affect language
- The use of traditional phonetic notation to help pronunciation
- A map of American dialects and examples of twentieth-century vocabulary demonstrating differences in American English and comparisons of current English to earlier versions
Top customer reviews
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category