- Paperback: 464 pages
- Publisher: Routledge; 5 edition (21 Mar. 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0415280990
- ISBN-13: 978-0415280990
- Product Dimensions: 15.6 x 3.4 x 23.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (10 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 505,003 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
A History of the English Language Paperback – 21 Mar 2002
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Comprehensive and balanced, this classic exploration of the history of the English language combines internal linguistic history and external cultural history-from the Middle Ages to the present. This market-leading text encourages readers to develop both an understanding of present-day English and an enlightened attitude toward questions affecting the language today.Features in the New Edition include:
- A thoroughly revised and updated Chapter 1, English Present and Future, reflecting the latest trends and statistics of the last ten years
- A new section in Chapter 10, Gender Issues and Linguistic Change, providing a balanced and current perspective on an important social topic
- Thorough revision of Chapter 11, The English Language in America, with updated material on African American Vernacular English
- An emphasis on the political, social, and cultural forces that affect language
- The use of traditional phonetic notation to help pronunciation
- A map of American dialects and examples of twentieth-century vocabulary demonstrating differences in American English and comparisons of current English to earlier versions
Top Customer Reviews
Most Recent Customer Reviews
So much easier to read than other HEL books such as Gramley. Used it as a reference in pretty much all of my work.Published on 30 April 2015 by Holly Bune
I needed it to study English language in history in several subjects at university, it is very useful. I received and all is well.Published on 17 Jun. 2014 by Pablo