on 22 May 2013
The terms of this weighty tome, covering a vast historical period, are balanced and well written. However, it was published in 1906 and is therefore significantly out of date.
on 6 October 2013
This book is ok. I read it with pleasure and interest. But it has some serious flaws, the most important being its age. When I found out towards the end of the book that it was first published 110 years ago, I felt duped. I could, and should, have checked the publishing date myself, but I think that Amazon should have informed me better, at least by calling the book a classic. We can take for granted that a huge pool of new information has come to light since Goodspeed wrote his book. Throughout the book he complains about the lack of sources. That said, I think it is still a good introduction to the topic at stake, but it is also a book about what academia knew, or thought they knew at the time and how they interpreted this knowledge. For a dedicated student of Mesopotamian history, the book is useful for understanding the progress made in historical research.
I found the introduction the best part. The rest is not bad but it is marked by its time of publication. It's for students more than for the general public. Its focus is on dynastic history while social and technological development is treated lightly. Ecology is barely mentioned.
Some flaws with the Kindle version are some orthographic errors like splitting up words without any reason. More serious is the lack of illustrations. A modern reader will expect maps and chronological timelines at least. None of this is to be found.
Still, it's a good book, and it makes a very reliable impression. Goodspeed's narration is well founded, he does not speculate. He is not a Tom Holland who renders the reader uncertain about the credibility of the details.
Recommended on condition.
on 18 May 2013
Well worth buying if you like ancient history. Tells the story of the Tigris and Euphrates basin a huge area. Desert and fertile land. Goes right back to the beginning of history, describing the Kings, people, Religion, and laws. Glad I bought it , anyway!!!!
on 5 May 2013
I brought this book to learn about the history of the period but I found it practically unreadable due to it's structure and date (1902) one for scholars only I'm afraid.
on 2 January 2017
Good read. Dated but still with a scholastic and experienced perspective. Grounded, and not in anyway coloured by sitchens creative interpretation.
on 16 September 2013
3 stars is more a reflection on my knowledge of the era. Great research but rather dry in its presentation.
on 14 January 2016
very good read and very informative I would recommend this book.
on 29 October 2015
very detailed gets a bit heavy at times a great reference book
on 8 November 2015
Very academic but well worth the time to read.
on 27 July 2015
Tough read, purely academic level.