on 19 September 2013
I ordered 10 compasses for an Air Training Corps Squadron, my reason for going cheap being that it's not going to be a big deal when (not if) Bloggsy drops it, loses it or leaves it next to a radio transmitter and demagnetises it. My lesson for the day is that sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Firstly, the product delivered isn't what's shown in the picture. There's no direction arrow, or index line, making it impossible to get an accurate bearing. This, however is small potatoes compared to the very simple fact that THE DIAL DOESN'T MOVE FREELY.

I shall be contacting the suppliers first thing tomorrow, demanding that they take these unmitigated pieces of dog toffee off my hands and give me a full refund.
22 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2013
Arived with a bubble in it then fell apart. Complete waste of money. I had to put it in the bin
on 5 December 2012
.. you will not find out from this compass. Tilt it even slightly and you will definitely miss your destination.

I compared it with other people's compasses on a hiking trip and all of them, but this compass, pointed in one direction.
on 24 November 2012
Rubbish compass for serious navigating - no direction of travel arrow. When it arrived the dial would not turn, had to disassemble to file off a small piece of plastic left from the manufacturing process and then reglue to the base plate. Not a happy camper!
on 22 September 2013
Not as shown in the picture; there is no Travellers Arrow. The compass housing is so stiff to turn little fingers can't budge it. As this was for use by my Granddaughter it is only fit for the recycle bin.
on 1 June 2015
I have recently taken up photography so needed a compass to hep with sunrise and sunset angles and thought OK so its cheap but it will do. This compass is garbage. It doesn't even point North. It doesn't matter which way you point it the needle swings wherever it feels like and yes I do know how to use a compass after spending many years in the forces. it is now in the bin
on 28 January 2013
This does what I expected it to do. I have two niggles:

1) The string disintegrated on its third outing
2) It does seem to get confused with directions briefly, however once I stay still for a few seconds it gives the correct reading.
on 19 February 2016
With this worthless piece of crap, North is anywhere it decides to point at that time. If I'd needed a compass for anything more than polar aligning my telescope I'd be either wandering around in circles or dead in a jungle.
on 23 March 2016
This compass is the best value for money available anywhere. I had to buy a number to teach its use to the cadets in my ATC squadron. It has all of facilities of the more expensive versions without the cost..
on 5 June 2011
Took this little compass on holiday to Brecon Beacons walking and it helped us all the way, well worth the very little cost as it does just the same as the more expensive ones.