on 23 November 2014
It is certainly the best book I have ever bought this year.

It's an easy and interesting reading where the author goes throughout first aspects of High performance without missing important details but not going that deep to something we can easily find over the internet.

It's one of the clearest explanations I've ever seen about TCP Slow Start, congestions among others and why they're so important. It's also very rare to find great explanations about Building blocks of UDP and why WebRTC just nailed it the concept of not being a first class protocol to be chosen amongst new projects.

One very interesting point too is about Mobile which I saw many articles out there but mostly failed to refer to some important concepts about Bandwidth as to why it is too variable and how to deal with.

It's easy to find many books about performance, Linux Kernel Networking where you can go and dive deep a particular object, but it's rare to find a book which can combine the bigger picture in a way that makes you feel comfortable and keep you interested after the second chapter.

In fact, I am already recommending to my co-workers and friends who are interested to step in to performance studies and any colleague of mine who wants to understand why things work instead of How they work.
on 23 December 2013
In this day and age, it's so hard for a book to have just the ideal scope of detail on a given subject. Some go too far, making the book tedious, others are too vague, making them just a small intro to a subject. This book is on the spot, is it very well written and the topics are all of great interest for me as a web developer. I've recommended this book to everyone I bump into.
on 10 November 2013
Great book -- a clear overview of what you should know of TCP if you're interested in web performance, and builds upwards through the protocols on-top. Taught me what the actual differences between Wifi and 3G connections actually is, and even has a sneak peek at WebRTC.
on 12 January 2015
This is probably the best written technical book I've ever read. The descriptions are crystal clear, no un-necessary wording, every explanation entirely clear and giving you exactly what you need. Any time I thought "I wonder..." the author then answered my question.

I read the online version of the book and I wonder if its clarity is the result of the publishing process, maybe it got lots of good questions from early readers. Who knows, anyway this book should be read by any Web developer, great content from an expert written superbly.
on 18 April 2014
A great guide covering all aspects of browser performance including an excellent treatment of the challenges of mobile.

I'd give it five stars but for the irksome amount of repetition that takes the edge off what would otherwise be a pleasant read.
on 6 February 2015
Required reading for anyone doing web development these days.
on 12 December 2014