on 29 October 2013
Many will think that a book about fee negotiation is a "how to get more money" manual. Ori Wiener's insightful book is anything but. The book, based on the author's own experience in working with professional service firms - both inside and outside - starts from the premise that fee negotiation is an essential part of relationship management, in that it sets the tone for the bond between client and service provider where both parties establish what they want out of the relationship and how much they are willing to pay for / wanting to receive for it. While the focus of the book is the professional service firm reader (lawyer, accountant, consultant, those whose services are intangible and relative to each case, and- therefore - negotiable in terms of output), anyone will benefit from Wiener's awareness of the fundamental elements of a negotiation. He begins with the setting of a fee, the will to discuss the fee relative to the specific circumstances of the work and clients' requirements, then approaching the concessions made in the process, and exploring the management that is required to keep the fee aligned with the level and amount of work that is being done. The book looks at various examples, theoretical frameworks and tactics to conduct effective negotiations as part of managing a profitable relationship. Whether you would describe yourself as a mild-manner dolphin in a negotiation, or a ruthless shark, you will find Ori Wiener's new book a true lifesaver in today's troubled waters of local, global and transnational business.
on 24 October 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. It reminded me of all the various discussions that I have had with clients over the years and of the importance of finding a solution that worked for both of us.
Too often I have seen advice about how to "get a better deal" but that is hardly relevant in the context of long term and sustainable relationships with clients. What is needed is a really clear framework for fee discussions - I found the Chapters on Preparing for the fee negotiation and how to both open and conclude to be of particular value.
Overall, very readable and covered all the points - I would recommend it to all professionals who have ever had to talk about fees with their clients!
on 22 October 2013
Ori Wieners book is both broad and deep in scope. it covers so many of the issues that professionals face in their relationships with clients. Most of us did not sign up to our profession to become salespeople and negotiators. We just like doing the work. So having to talk price and fees does not come naturally. Ori has clearly had a lot of personal experience to bring to bear on the topic and this comes through very strongly in the gritty tactics and approaches that he proposes. A very well though through book with lots of practical insights and things to try.
on 17 March 2016
In my experience many professionals dread negotiating with their clients, despite the fact that often their work involves negotiating on their clients behalf. This book is full of simple to follow techniques to help professionals negotiate without harming their client relationships. Proactive fee management is one of the most important elements for professional firms to master if they want to improve profitability, this book tells you how. No professional should be without these skills.
on 24 September 2013
Read this book with huge reassurance that there is a way through the minefield that is negotiation. Ori Wiener manages to create something that is very easy to follow and he makes a complex subject incredibly simple. I would recommend this to all my partners and colleagues.
on 22 October 2013
The book delivered all the tools and skills I need to continue in my chosen career. Clearly defined and simply put, this book has set me on a path to continued success, inspiring a new way of thinking and understanding the playing field of negotiation.
on 18 September 2013
I wish I would have read this book at the beginning of my career. The strategies and techniques Mr Wiener covers are so powerful. I've already started using my new found skills with phenomenal success! Great book.
on 29 December 2013
Ori Wiener has written an essential aide-memoire for anyone who has to negotiate the most valuable commodity we possess - our time. Very often our work throws us into pricing the time of ourselves and colleagues with minimum training, if any. We rely heavily on precedents - how things have been done in the past - rather than negotiating from any fundamental understanding of the principles involved. So often this leads to sub-optimal outcomes - we give away our time or undervalue ourselves and our co-workers. Often client feel they are overpaying even if we aren't even covering our own costs.

Wiener's book is a concise and highly readable guide to avoiding these pitfalls. His core observation is that fees are not a zero sum game where either you or the client wins. Very often it's possible to create a win-win where the client is happy to pay you more for outcomes that the client views as successful. Your added value translates directly into additional remuneration.

Wiener provides readers with a coherent structure for thinking about how to approach a fee negotiation and how to generate these win-win outcomes. The book has application to a multitude of professional services - any service which is based on the time and expertise of the professional.

As a professional negotiator myself, this book is already becoming a handy refresher and reference point.
on 20 November 2014
This book completely rocks. Covering a wide range of aspects in relation to client relationship management, project management, profitability, negotiations, it uses strong intellectual underpinning to create immediately implementable practical suggestions for any professional to use. Ori writes in an engaging, persuasive style raising the reader's awareness, insight, capability and confidence to conduct negotiations that enhance profitability whilst also securing strong client relations. The chapter on project management is especially strong. Strongly recommended.
on 23 January 2014
I didn't know what you expect when first reading this book. I must admit that topics of money and negotiation were subjects that were somewhat daunting. And that's where my journey started. I felt these were areas I needed to strengthen in. So to then find a book which combines both topics was not only exciting, but enlightening. It is written in language which, although very high level, is understandable and clear! It links the importance of defining the other person's needs and what is perceived value in their eyes. It also breaks the negotiation into different stages helping me understand all the work that needs to go into one. This sounds basic. Still, I could immediately realise, where I could strengthen my approach and have successfully done so. The little details. So in essence, the book took a daunting subject, broke it down and made it all quite simple and applicable. I highly recommend reading it!! Thank you!!