Customer reviews

on 16 May 2017
It is the first book in the wonderful Gaius Valerius Verrens books and is the start of a fabulous adventure with main character. Like al the others this is hard to put down and a real page turner. I won't tell any of the storyline as I want everyone to get same enjoyment I got while reading this. It is a truly wonderful book, really well written and goes at a hell of a pace. Read this book and the others in the series. It is a joy!
on 26 March 2017
A strong start to the series set against the rebellion of boudica and the ensuing destruction. Valerius is at once a soldier, warrior, leader and hero but also thoughtful, kind, cruel and above all, human. For any fans of conn iggulden, Simon sparrow or anthony reichs this is another Roman hero to follow!
on 2 April 2017
À brilliant but bloodthirsty book telling how Boudicca faced up to the Romans. Two killing machines gaining credit for neither side.
on 29 July 2017
Well developed plot. Not a fairy tale ending to a version of the Icenian revolt. I will be very interested in how the story is continued ending as it does with the destruction of Boadicas forces.
on 5 September 2015
More of a slow arduous read than a action packed adventure, takes very long to build up and the battle scenes are rushed, not an in sufferable read
on 12 July 2010
I was in two minds as to whether to give this book four or five stars, shame there's no facility to give 'point marks' because I would have given Hero of Rome 4.5 as it's very very good. However.......

After mulling over a four or five, initially I thought four but then I thought about how many books have gripped me like Hero of Rome did in the last few years; answer, not too many, so in my humble opinion it's worth five!

I found the title slightly deceptive as I had assumed the story would revolve around Rome itself but it didnt, it's about the Roman occupation of Britain centering around AD60 just before the Boudican revolt.

The main character unlike most Roman novels is a Tribune and not a Centurion, who after serving a few months in Britain is due to return to Rome to take up a position as a lawyer.

The Romans in the meantime are planning to wipe out the Druids on Mona (Angelsey) and are moving West in order to carry this out. Tribune Valerus however, is ordered to assist with road building in present day St Albans before setting off for Rome.

Arriving at his new post he finds the area is garrisioned by veterans who were involved in the original invasion of Britain who are now retired. They have old weapons, armour and are not as fit or up todate as current soldiers but they train regularly and are still proud Roman citizens.

Back in Rome the Emperor is looking to raise taxes from places like Britain who he is also considering abandoning as they have not yet found Britains Gold mines, so a clamp down is ordered.

When Boudicas husband dies, the Romans take her land and a Roman Centurion, Crespo and enemy of Valerus, publicly flogs her and rapes her two young daugters, thereby starting the revolt.

Valerus despite falling for a local girl and becoming popular with the Britons, has to choose to fight for Rome as the revolt vastly increases in momentum. Outnumbered by tens of thousands, Valerus attempts to slow Boudica's army by attacking and then retreating to a shrine of Nero.

What follows is the conclusion to an excellent story and a thrilling first installment to what promising to be a brilliant series of books.
33 Comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2014
Only half way through and i've already bought and downloaded the next in the series. Excellent.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 June 2011
This is one of those times when I really should have read the blurb before I bought the book, I often pick up certain authors just because I enjoyed previous books and Douglas is no exception.
The previous books though had been a bit of fun and I have to admit I was getting a little tired of the elephant so I had put off reading this one, every time it got to the top of the reading pile it got jumped by something more appealing until eventually a bit of face book posting guilt got the better of me.
This weekend in hospital Hero of Rome became my best friend helping me through the boredom of a 3 day visit.

Not only was I surprised by the fact that this was not a continuation of the existing series, but also that the writing had changed, it had...grown/ evolved.
The new characters were a revelation and the new story a breath of fresh air. Following the first cohort across country to colonia ( Camulodunum ) where you get a link to the previous stories was great fun. For me the real depth to the story was the everyday camaraderie that was shown between Varrens and his men and the other groups he came into contact with, and also the animosity between him and his enemy Crespo, all this human characterisation is wrapped in and around the build up to the Iceni revolt and the rise of Boudica.

What follows is a well written well researched well thought out story, and for once the cover blurb about there being a new writer on the block etc is not hype, this really is the start of a great new series.

A solid 4/5 because I think there is better to come from Douglas and I for one look forward to it (Parm)
on 19 August 2010
I don't intend to reiterate the story lines and characters which have been fairly comprehensively covered by previous reviewers. Suffice to say, not being a historian or literary expert, I found the book very hard to put down and was whisked away into Valerius roman Britain wonderfully every time I opened the book and enjoyed the story from cover to cover. I have read both of Douglas Jacksons previous novels and feel he has now mastered his art. I'm thrilled to see that "Hero" is the first of a trilogy and am already anticipating Valerius further adventures. If you, like me, enjoy a good story, well told, this is a book for you..!
on 31 January 2015
Scarrow and Iggulden never quite did it for me, I was ready to give up on the Roman genre as 'just not my kind of thing' but thought I would give it one more go after seeing this on special offer.

Very glad I did as Hero of Rome is a cracking read and a very promising start to the series.

It had me gripped from the start and although I did find that there was a bit of a sticky bit in the middle - looking back I think it was just the anticipation of the final confrontation, I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen! - it soon picked up and the final battle really is very gripping.

Definitely recommended.

I'm reading the second in the series now and i have to say that so far its another belter, even better than Hero.

Hopefully Mr Jackson keeps up the good work as I'm really looking forward to reading more adventures of Gaius Valerius Verrens.