Heritage Apples: A New Sensation Paperback – 19 Mar 2013
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Susan Lundy is an award-winning journalist, editor, and freelance writer. She is a two-time recipient of the prestigious Jack Webster Award of Distinction and has won more than 25 writing, design, and project awards. After working for many years at the Gulf Islands Driftwood, she now focuses on freelance writing, specializing in travel and personal narrative. She has a degree in creative writing and journalism from the University of Victoria, is the editor of Soar and Tweed magazines, and writes a column on family life for several newspapers. Susan divides her time between Victoria and Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, and Calgary, Alberta.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Unfortunately, it is missing chunks from its digital pages! There are sentence fragments, misplaced photographs and even words spliced together as though someone accidentally highlighted random things and hit delete... Ugh.
If digital books really want to stand a chance, they need to be just as carefully edited as bound books!
The content of the book seemed pretty decent, but I couldn't get passed my irritation at purchasing a fragmented book (hence the two stars). There are color photos, and examples of apple varieties (though not as many as I'd hoped to find, considering there are over 7,500 recognized apple varieties in existence) and the text is well written when you can understand it. I will likely end up purchasing the bound book, but if I do so I will be ordering it through my local bookstore as a sort of lame, grumpy, self-righteous, rebellion.
If I were to purchase the book bound and whole, I would probably give it four stars due to the beautiful layout, aesthetic and content, but I would withhold that final star due to the limited information on more varieties. The author does mention lots of varieties, but many of them are simply mentioned by name and date, with no information on the fruit/tree itself. I was truly hoping there would be more information on the individual varieties - perhaps a final appendix of variety traits at the end of the book; it seems likely that anyone picking up a book titled "Heritage Apples" in the gardening section is going to be looking for something similar.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Food & Drink
- Books > Home & Garden > Gardening > Organic Gardening
- Books > Home & Garden > Gardening > Plants > Fruit & Vegetables
- Books > Home & Garden > Gardening > Plants > Trees & Shrubs
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Botany & Plant Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Food & Farming > Forestry & Silviculture