Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

VINE VOICEon 9 May 2016
I loved 'You Had Me At Hello' and I bought this expecting more of the same. In fact, it could have been written by an entirely different author, and I couldn't really enjoy it. This tells the story of Anna, horribly bullied at school by James, who she then bumps into in later life and ends up having to work with on a project. Of course, she falls in love with him, he falls in love with her, blah blah, but unlike McFarlane's other books, it's really hard to care about the characters in this book. Anna is torn-faced, snippy and dull, James is vain, nasty and equally dull, and their respective friends are bitchy, shallow and dull. I skimmed through most of the book, feeling very disappointed in how different it was to her other books - there are very few humorous moments in this book, and the whole tone didn't fit with a romantic comedy feel. Not one I'd recommend.
on 21 April 2016
I enjoyed this more than You Had Me At Hello......it was another easy read with a lot of "nice" bits along with some good laughs along the way and the odd touching moment as well. I think this one had fewer mistakes, too, which always matters to me.
Some...ahem....terms I needed to Google and well !! They were quite shocking and nothing I'd ever heard of....I must've led a more sheltered life than I've always thought !
The only mistakes I spotted were when she used effortfully and I'd have used effortlessly. I've never heard of effortfully and she dropped apostrophes each time ladies' or gents' got a mention. Then you was used instead of I but that was the lot for mistakes. So all in all I definitely enjoyed this more more and I look forward to reading her next one.
on 11 June 2016
I first read this in February 2015 and really did thoroughly enjoy it, I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a guaranteed stress free, easy going book complete with chuckles.

Already a fan of Mhairi McFarlane since reading You Had Me At Hello, and wasn't sure about this one at first, but loved it, so much so that having just read the excellent but rather harrowing book Another Love, I needed a guaranteed feel good book to get me over it, this book sprang to mind and hey presto, it did the job. Loved it just as much this second time.

I originally bought Mhairi's first three books on Kindle, but then bought the paperbacks as well!!
on 25 August 2014
Review: oh I loved this book. I enjoyed this authors first offering but for me, this one is twice as good. I raced through this book-wanting to find out what happened next. I loved the premise behind it and I could imagine myself in her shoes facing up to my school bullies and them not know who I was because I was hugely successful and gorgeous looking now! I out myself in Anna's shoes and I loved the ride that I had.

I think Anna makes for an interesting leading lady. She is clearly very insecure and so some of the choices she makes aren't ones she should be making or are rushed, but this makes for some very interesting moments in the book. Her sister provides the comedy in this novel, her ways with her finances and her fiancé are really entertaining and yet she comes through in the end, helping Anna and helping herself. Bully James seems totally cute, I can't believe he used to behave that way in high school, but like Anna, I found him difficult to trust initially...

There's something for everyone in this novel, interesting historical exhibitions, two weddings planned, a fabulous fabulous best friend and a will they won't they love story that will have you on the edge of your seat reading this one! The way this writer explains things an describes something is also a truly beautiful element of the book. She uses the most fantastical figurative language and I think I'm going to use some of her examples whe teaching similes at school from now one because some are deep and meaningful and some downright hilarious! I so enjoyed this book, it was a quick read, an enjoyable read and has stayed with me since the moment I put it down!
on 1 June 2015
I knew what I was getting as I had read "You had me at hello". The genre is rom com so it is not hard to work out where things are heading. The book had its funny moments particularly around the disastrous wedding planning. However, the central premise (the highly successful and beautiful adult still fixated on being bullied as a teenager) was not that credible and had the disadvantage of making the Mr Darcy role character enduringly unappealing. Not only did he deserve his self-absorbed wife but it seemed unlikely that a man of his character would really make any other choice. There was not enough interest in the people to hold attention through the rather obvious twists.
on 14 July 2017
I'm going to be brutally honest here and say I choose this book because it looked pink, fluffy and I fancied a easy read that would make me laugh. A few chapters in and I was struggling and not laughing and I reminded myself why I don't read girl meets boy books and then all of a sudden I got into it, and I laughed a lot and also cried as this is more than a girl meets boy, this book tackles the subject of high school bullying and is really quite deep. It took a while but when I got into it, I loved it and would definitely recommend it.
on 8 March 2014
I really enjoyed Mhairi's first book so got this one as soon as it came out. The writing style and humour did not disappoint, and I eagerly ploughed through it. I thought towards the end things got a bit predictable and I even hesitated about reading the last few pages as it was so obvious how it would wrap up. The story is really along the themes of her first book and with the same inevitability. Not sure if I'd read her next one.
on 13 January 2014
I read "you had me at hello" and loved it, I wasn't sure if "Here's looking at you" could compete, but it most certainly has done. Loved, loved, loved the story and all the characters. So when is the next book released?
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2015
For the first few chapters I was prepared to put this book down at any moment. The characters were awkward, the writing a bit off but it does improve considerably as time goes on, although by this point the ending is incredibly predictable.

I've read a few McFarlanes and absolutely loved them, but this one for me never quite got there in full. You Had Me At Hello is a much better option.
on 22 October 2016
Just brilliant. Bought it in audio book for my long commute and howled with laughter all the way to work and back. Sharp sense of humour and brilliant observation. I went straight on line and ordered her other books.