Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2017
I liked the book but for what I wanted it for was too technical for me. Better for someone who has studied in this field. Gave to a friend who has more knowledge than I and was very happy. It sounds like the go to book if you have practice in that area of herbal alternatives.
on 13 April 2017
Excellent book - a real eye-opener.
on 21 April 2017
Brilliant book. Very interesting and important material. Read with open mind and pick up some extra gems as well. Brief comments here and there like reference to allergic rhinitis and a herb.
on 31 August 2017
Returned as did not provide the information that i wanted!
on 21 July 2017
A "must read" I bought this not just to help myself, but mainly to treat my dogs...the Author is one of THE best in the subject.
on 30 April 2017
Brilliant!
on 8 December 2016
Very informative
on 29 June 2014
A much needed work on real alternatives to what people have been misled to believe is standard medicine. Having worked for a pharmaceutical company I know what really goes on in boardroom thinking. Peoples health is secondary to mega profits. The truth is that is behoves everyone to take personal responsibilty for their health and not leave it to the major exploitation of the NHS which has been subverted by killer pharmaceuticals. 'Legal drugs last year killed twice as many people as illegal drugs. Neither are the answer. This publication is a small step in redressing the balance.
on 23 September 2013
I ordered this book two months ago. I havent read it till the end though. But it is interesting and I got few ideas of planting some herbs in my own garden..
on 26 July 2013
As a medical herbalist, I found the book useful and interesting. It covers a few herbs in reasonable depth and suggests herbs suited to certain pathogens. Many of the herbs discussed were new to me. A lot of attention is also given to the right mode of preparation of each herb. A whole chapter is dedicated to herbs to boost the immune system, a very important approach when fighting any infection.
The book is fairly chatty, with plenty of repetition. The level is suitable for the interested lay person, while practitioners will probably have to speed read over many sections. My main criticism is that the range of herbs discussed is very narrow. I would have expected an overview of the majority of known antimicrobial herbs with their respective merits. Unfortunately the book covers only about 20 plants, many of which are not commonly used by most Western medical herbalists in the UK, and as a result would be fairly hard to obtain (Cryptolepsis, Sida, Alchorna, Bidens...). Many very well established herbal antimicrobials receive no mention at all (Garlic, Tea tree, Thyme to mention but a few).
Another criticism is that, while there is a comprehensive bibliography at the end of the book, there is no referencing throughout the text, so it's pretty difficult if you want to look up the specific research behind a certain piece of information.
Overall, the book falls somewhat short of my expectations, but at the price it's still a worthwhile addition to my library.
SK, B.Sc.(hons) Herbal Medicine, MNIMH
33 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse