- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Henry I: King of England and Duke of Normandy Hardcover – 2 Mar 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
'Judith Green provides us with the best available biography of Henry I … Green's biography … shows the richness derived from having lived with study of the king for decades, and it skilfully provides an account of the reign and his kingship that is both detailed and accessible.' BBC History Magazine
'It is a work of sustained scholarship and balanced judgement … a remarkable tour de force … Professor Green adds new facts and modifies existing narratives. … This fine biography does him justice.' The Times Literary Supplement
'Green's is the first work to provide a comprehensive and integrated examination of Henry's reign not only as king of England but also as Duke of Normandy.' Sixteenth Century Journal
'Beautifully written, this is a book that is accessible to all, and deserves to become the standard work on Henry I. War, sex, violence, tragedy, political intrigue, paranoia: it is the stuff of fiction. Henry I lived it.' The Medieval Review
'Henry I King of England and Duke of Normandy is a masterful and engrossing biography of one of England's most fascinating and perhaps least known monarchs. The author uses primary sources to excellent effect, enlivening and enriching the text with fascinating contemporary facts. There is a comprehensive biography, a set of family trees and even a diagram of the harbour of Barfleur, where the White Ship sank.' Rachel Bellerby, Suite101.com
This first comprehensive biography of Henry I, an elusive figure for historians, provides a rich and compelling account of his tumultuous life and reign and presents a significant new perspective on his court, showing how it was shaped by his fascinating, if repellent, personality.See all Product description
Top customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > British Royalty
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Royalty
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > The Plantaganets & Medieval England
- Books > History > Europe > Medieval
- Books > History > Europe > Western
- Books > History > World History