on 2 September 2009
I have read a number of books on eating disorders and this is the only book I found with sound advice telling you what to do in order to help your teenager. Most books explain about recognising an eating disorder and where to go to obtain help, but this book actually explains the best way to go about it as a parent/carer. I was never given that advice even though we attended hospital for over 2 years with our child who was discharged for obtaining the age of 16, even though they are still not well. I read this book and now know what I have to do - trying to implement it is another thing of course - but it does give excellent advice if you are in need. I initailly borrowed the book from our Library but have decided to purchase it so I can keep refering to it.
on 12 May 2010
Having had a daughter just diagnosed with Anorexia we were recommended this book by her counsellors. Chapter Seven about taking control was just what my husband and I needed to help us try and help our daughter. Highly recommended for anyone who has a friend or relation suffering from this terrible disease. We are still in the early days, but whatever stage your child is at, it is a great help to understanding a bit about how insidiously Anorexia works.
on 21 April 2010
This is an American book and although the advice is good, it's based on US treatments. Also I don't think it's as good as Skills-based Learning for Caring for a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: The New Maudsley Methodand Anorexia and Bulimia: A Parent's Guide to Recognising Eating Disorders and Taking Controlwhich I bought at the same time. If I were to buy these 3 books again, I'd just go for the latter two as I found I referred to them time and time again, whereas the American book just ended up in a drawer.
on 9 October 2015
My daughter became anorexic at 11. We were assigned two middle aged male counsellors who did their best but the most valuable thing they did was recommend this book. We had 1 hour therapy a week, the other 167 hours were down to my wife, me, my son and daughter. Before reading it, we had no real understanding of the condition and no tools for dealing with it. Afterwards, we were able to begin her recovery. We understood key concepts like separating the condition from the person and why rational persuasion does not work. She is now 16 and thriving. This book played an invaluable part in her recovery. I have recommended it to several people now and am writing this review because I'm about to recommend it to someone else. Yes, it is written from an American angle but we are British and it was still extremely helpful.
on 15 April 2014
there are a lot of things that will start to make sense to you whilst reading this book. It will even help you pin point when your child ED started to manifest itself.

There is useful advice (it is imperative that you get your child professional help asap) but the book mainly helps the lay man understand what they are up against. You cannot do much for your child if you do not understand what could possibly happen in their head.

Highly recommend it. I barely took any minutes off reading this book...
on 4 August 2014
A really useful book that I would highly recommend to any parent or carer who has a teenager suffering with this dreadful illness. The content is well written, user friendly, reassuring and informative
on 18 July 2013
My daughter was diagnosed with anorexia in May this year and it was suggested in the support group we go to that this book would be a great help to us. When I started reading it it sounded familiar to what was happening to my daughter so although it scary to read it will be helpful in the long run.
on 27 August 2013
More useful for someone with an older teenager who is capable of understanding how their mind works and who, on the road to recovery, can use the concepts to make the necessary changes within their own head.
on 27 December 2012
Slightly 'americanised' at times, but otherwise really useful, killing off many false beliefs that surround eating disorders. I'd recommend for both carers and also family members/friends of anyone who has an eating disorder.
on 20 July 2012
Brilliant book helped me to understand eating disorders better and how I can help my teeneage daughter - before reading I felt at a lose but now feel much more confident I can help her be well