Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 October 2015
Seems like a good quality product, provided in a nice box.

However, it was slightly too large for me, so I had to order the medium one. I am 1.82m tall and 80kg, so "Large" should have been a good fit. However, it was not tight enough/close to the body, so wouldn't probably be warm in that case. I have replaced it by a "Medium" one, which is much better (although slightly shorter than expected).

The sleeves are very long, which is positive. The zip/collar is quite tight on both sizes.

Amazon tried to charge me £6 to return the product ("Too large" reason), although I think the sizing is not right. Luckily, I managed to return for free just selecting another return reason...

In term of the quality, it's well made but quite thin. I went cycling by 10c (so not extremely cold), and it was not sufficiently warm by itself, under a windproof jacket, so a mid-layer would be still required in Autumn/Winter/Spring. However, it did stay dry.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 January 2017
I am using this base layer for couple of years now (I have three of them now) and I am very happy with it. The merino wool is just excellent in wicking the moisture out and keeping one warm. I have also some base layers which aren’t made of merino wool I basically stopped using them. The way the wool is woven made the itchiness almost non-existent. I have another merino wool base layer and unlike the Helly Hansen one, it is very itchy to wear it. The base layer also fits well, I am quite broad shouldered and using XXL which fits just right.

Another thing worth to mention is its odour resistance. I had to use the base layer for few days and the base layer didn’t have any odour (unlike if I would use the cotton based base layers or t-shirts).

One of the features why I chose this base layer was its long neck.

Please keep in mind that only the base layer won’t keep you warm. It has to be used with combination with other layers (which won’t let wind through etc.).

I have made this review to help other people to decide when shopping as I personally read the reviews of the products I would like to buy. I have purchased this case for myself and there was no discount or any incentives from anyone to write this review.
2 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2017
Comparison HH Merino Wool & 2 versions of HH Warm (hybrid Merino Wool + Lifa bonded together)

Poor performance of HH Warm Crew due to cost cutting but fabulous Warm ½ zip.

Ranking for Warmth :-
1. HH Warm ½ zip
2. HH Merino Wool (difficult to find now, maybe discontinued)
3. HH Warm crew neck (the least warm due to cost cutting – see below)

Ranking for Comfort :-
1. HH Warm crew neck
2. HH Warm ½ zip
3. HH Merino

Ranking for Value :-
1. HH Warm ½ is very expensive but the bonded Lifa makes it very comfortable when your body is working hard and perspiring.
2. HH Merino is significantly cheaper and runs First equal if
a. You are not perspiring very much
b. Have it washed a number of times to lessen itchiness a little (but would never be entirely eliminated)
3. Is a little cheaper than the ½ zip Warm but can cost more than the 98% Merino Wool & 2% Elastine base layer. However, for value, it is by far the worse.

(I have included the dates here because I have been wearing Lifa since 1979 and there are slight differences over the years etc.) Notice the HH signature stripes along both arms of the Warm. In 2014 version of ordinary Lifa, it is 29 mm wide. In 2013 version of HH Warm, the stripes were 37mm. This strip of stripes have gotten wider to 44mm in 2014 version (that’s 15% or the circumference of the arm as measured below the elbow !).

I used to wonder but thought the stripes were just decoration. Up to 2016 I had no reason to doubt the quality of HH as we use HH survival suits offshore and they proved second to none. That’s because I have always worn them under Gortex Windstopper or cotton Ventile jackets when doing outdoor sport activities. However, in November 2016 I worn it under work coveralls (poly-cotton) when painting the garden fence. A “Nor’easterly” was blowing; no problem with warmth in the body but the arms were cold on account of the useless stripes. Changed to HH Merino Wool and problem gone.

If money is no object, it is still not automatic choice to pick the ½ zip Warm, because although these arms are all Merino Wool covered with decoration stripes painted or transferred, the top of the zip is an irritation to the chin.

My conclusion was cost-cutting tarnished the reputation of HH. I will not be recommending HH Warm crew neck to offshore crews. My conclusion was based on 4 HH Warm ½ zip, 9 HH Warm Crew, and 3 HH Merino Wool long sleeved tops. For those who could afford it, HH Warm ½ zip is good. For companies providing PPE & Clothing to employees, better value could be had from ordinary Lifa, and a thin layer of fleece worm under coveralls would be cost effective alternative.
on 4 September 2013
I do a lot of winter photography, so getting the combination of clothes in cold conditions is a must. I have a good fleece and just got a North Face Nuptse 2 down Jacket(I was using a Gelit last year), I just wanted to sort out a good base layer. After ALOT of research and recommendations from people at work, the Helly Hansen was the one to get.

I'm a well built 6ft 4inch chap, so I went for a XXL size. It fits spot on for me, the length and arm length is great and its NOT tight, but figure hugging as its supposed to be.

VERY happy with the top.

I'm even thinking about getting the Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Warm Pant for £42 to complete my clothing set up for this up and coming winter
9 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2016
Very good thermal base layer. Feels good and fits well. One issue though is if you sweat a lot when you exert yourself, like me, then the wool mix can get quite cold and stay cold. So for climbing in winter I would not wear this thermal when slogging up to the base of the route but it is great to change into when you get there and as long as it does not get too damp then it is a very warm base layer. Likewise, not a base layer I would choose for winter hillwalking.
on 19 March 2017
Good quality obviously for HH but it is a snug fit, Im 42 chest and its not as loose as other size L ski base layers I have purchased from other brands. When I take my ski jacket off in a cafe I dont want a layer that hugs the skin. Had I known I may have tried an XL. But otherwise length is fine and a great product for what I wanted it for.
on 7 September 2014
The body & sleeve lenght and good in X large for a tall person. However the width across the shoulders could be a little wider . At present the neck is tight fitting because of the shoulder width being a little short. This brings tightness around the neck; for some this may be acceptable but it makes it irritating for those who would like a less restricting fit. Because of this and having been disappointed with this XL purchase for the reasons mentioned I decided this time to go up a size with a further purchase ( Ebayed this one). The result was much more comfortable in the XXl size yet still body huggingly warm Otherwise great tops and good value for money.
on 7 December 2015
Bought for myself to go under my new Rab "Nebulus" jacket. I hate bulky clothing, and I hate being cold, so I'm constantly checking out the latest compression fit T shirts and thermal wear. All the best brands more or less do exactly the same. They keep you warm without the bulk. My reason for buying this particular top was the price ( it was in amazons sale). The quality is not disputed, it's made by Helly Hansen! As for the sizing, I'm a 44/46 chest and I bought the XL which was perfect- not skin tight but tight enough to keep the wind out. And it's very warm too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one (or two) at the right price.
on 6 January 2016
Best buy i have maid in a while,.this top is really really good,.and does exactly as described,.ive worn it in really cold weather,..no more multi layers of clothing for me,.this top kept me warm on its own underneath my Berghaus Alpha 3 in 1 waterproof jacket in some very wet cold and windy weather,,.i was able to move around without any restrictions of multi layer clothing....i would'nt hesitate to recommend this top.
on 21 January 2018
This base layer is excellent, whilst out winter cycling i would normally wear a base layer,mid layer with a wind stopper on top but with this base layer i don't need a mid layer, i have another type of HH base layer that is no longer available but this is a great replacement. I will get another.