- Paperback: 440 pages
- Age Range: 9 years and up
- Publisher: Manning Publications; 1 edition (8 May 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1933988495
- ISBN-13: 978-1933988498
- Product Dimensions: 18.6 x 2.4 x 23.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (8 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 384,366 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners Paperback – 8 May 2009
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Warren Sande is an Electronic Systems Engineer who uses Python (and other languages) in his work, and also uses it to help teach his son about computers and programming. He holds a degree in Electronic Systems Engineering from the University of Regina, Saskatchewan as well as a Diploma in Communication Arts, specializing in Broadcasting, from the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. He has taught introductory software courses to computer novices.
Carter Sande is a bright, curious, energetic, and thoughtful boy who loves computers, playing the piano, bouncing on the trampoline, and Mario. He has been playing and experimenting with computers from a young age.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Hello World! is one of those rare exceptions, a gentle, and humorous introduction to the idea of programming, using Python, a language well suited to filling the niche that BASIC dialects did a generation ago. Even to a crusty and cynical old-timer, like myself, it makes entertaining reading -- not only is the writing style light and engaging, but you can nod sagely and think "Been there, done that" at all the "In the good old days" asides.
Trying out on members of the target audience, it has proven a hit. In its catchy and absorbing manner, it explains the fundamentals (the simple things like variable names being, well, just names) clearly and the exercises concentrate on making fun things happen sooner rather than later. The infectious enthusiasm of the author even managed to hook my non-programmer wife, and get her trying out the examples.
The only reason I'm not giving the book a full 5 stars is that what makes it good as a teaching book, leading the reader in a quick tour of the concepts, rather than plodding through in a slow and structured (and boring) way leaves it not so good as a reference once the reader has worked through it.
Brilliant book, if you're looking something to get your children going on the coding bug early on this is definitely the place to start.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great book, would defo recommend to little would-be programmers. Needs an adult to work with alongside. Got it for my 8 year old.Published on 19 July 2013 by Mr Matthew Snow
I bought this for my grandson to be able to learn programming. I like the book, but was disappointed to find that it is written for Python 2.5 instead of the up-to-date Python 3.2. Read morePublished on 18 Feb. 2012 by Derek Waters
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Hobbies & Interests > Computers, Software & Games
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle
- Books > Computing & Internet > Networking & Security > Network Topics
- Books > Computing & Internet > PC & Video Games
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Introduction
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Functional Programming
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Architecture
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics & Animation
- Books > School Books > Vocational