on 2 December 2013
I really love all of Ally Carters books and have read all of the Gallagher Girls series and love them, so thought I would try this . I personally thought that it was a bit confusing because i couldn't keep track of everything. It was ok and had a good story line though. Might read the next in series, might not spend my money on it, though. I Recommend this for 11+, it isn't scary, just hard to follow! Well done Ally.
on 23 April 2013
I fell in love with ally Carter's series of books including the amazing Gallagher girl series. This series just has a spark to it when you read that tells you to keep reading, don't put it down! Well that's what I felt but everyone has a different view at these sorts of books but I would highly recommend you reading it whether you like spy/thief books or not!
Immediately after finishing Heist Society (book #1), I got started on Uncommon Criminals. I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel as the Heist Society series is made up of standalone stories instead of one continuous plot. Kat has been busy since she and her team robbed the Henley for Arturo Taccone with little jobs all over the world. Much to her friends and family's dismay, however, she's been working alone. Finally, she's back in the US and a woman, Constance Miller, has approached her asking her to help steal back Cleopatra's Emerald which was wrongfully taken from her family decades ago. This is a seemingly impossible task and even her Uncle Eddie, who knows everything about everything to do with thieving, is telling her to stay away from this job, but Kat being Kat, accepts the challenge. The stone is supposedly cursed and those that have attempted to steal the emerald in the past have come to an unpleasant end. Ignoring all the warnings, Kat and her crew go ahead and start planning to steal back this prized emerald, but things get very complicated, very quickly as it turns out people are not who they say they are.

Although the 'crew' is made up of several people, namely, Kat, Hale, Gabrielle, Hamish, Angus and Simon, we don't really get the chance to connect with any of the characters apart from Kat and possibly Hale and Gabrielle. The rest of the team may as well not be included in the story because I don't really know much about any of them and as the story doesn't tell us anything about them it seems like they're not doing a lot. We still get the sense that all the characters make up a tight knit family group despite the fact that there's not a lot of 'emotional' interaction between them so this must be some sort of magical power that Ally Carter possesses. There is a very slight progression in the Kat/Hale relationship, but not as much as I would've liked. Although this book isn't focused on teen romance at all, I feel like a little more attention could have been paid to these two characters just to give the story a little more spice. I feel like there's a lot of tension between these two characters and I really hope that at some point it explodes into something really amazing.

There are lots of twists and turns in this book and as Uncommon Criminals is written in the third person, we as readers are kept in the dark until we read the events as they happen. As with Heist Society, I thought that this book was brilliant in terms of both character and plot, until the very end when the plot started to get over-complicated. I found myself rather confused as I was reading the climax to the story and I'm still not entirely sure what exactly happened but whatever it was, it was an extremely intricate and detailed plan. I never really had any idea what was going to happen next or how these kids were going to pull off such a feat so you keep reading desperately trying to find out what the crew is going to do next.

The Heist Society books are highly addictive and keep you turning page after page after page. They sort of fit into the genre of crime (the positive sort?) and mystery as they revolve around a group of thieving do-gooders - you'll have to read the books to find out what I mean. I'd highly recommend these books to anyone and everyone. Even though these are 'young adult' books, I'm sure that many adults could read these and still greatly enjoy them.
on 27 July 2013
this book is amazing and there no point in me writing what has happen in this book as it will ruin the book for you but you should buy this book as it amazing and another great book by ally carter an amazing author and recommend to everyone and good quick delivery service.
on 3 September 2014
I loved this book. The second book in the series or the heist society trilogy and it was very exciting, it had you on the end of your seat but if i'm honest I think the first novel: Heist Society was the best. But this one is definitely a close second, when I think about it, the third book probably draws a close second with this one.
Overall I think this is a great thriller and would recommend it to teenagers.
on 28 June 2015
Ally Carter has had me gripped from the first Gallagher Girl book, but every time it seriously amazes me how she can continue to grip my attention and imagination. Uncommon Criminals started off by giving me the vibe that everything that was supposed to be so hard for these teens, seemed far too easy but woah was I wrong. This book truly grabbed me and if I wasn't for my desire to see more of Kat and Hale, I would certainly give it a 5/5!! Definitely a recommended read.
on 1 October 2013
You can read the review for book one along with many other book reviews here [...]

Uncommon Criminals was just as good as Heist Society if not better. Just like Heist Society there are plenty of plot twists.

It starts off with Kat leaving the airport with Hale after Kat had completed a Heist when some old lady comes up to them asking her to steal the Cleopatra Emerald which of course is also cursed.

The old lady cons Kat and Hale into believing that the Cleopatra Emerald rightfully belongs to her because her parents discovered it in an archaeological find. The lady tells them that Visily Romani told her where the emerald would be and that Kat was the person she needed to retrieve it and give it back to its rightful owner.

Even though Kat's uncle tells Kat not to go after the Cleopatra Emerald, Kat and her crew do it anyway and later find out that the old lady was conning them just so she could have the emerald. She planned to take the emerald and pass it off as the emeralds twin the Anthony and have it auctioned off.

At first Kat doesnt believe in the curse of the emerald, but after Kat steals the Cleopatra she finds out that the old lady conned her and Gabrielle (who held the emerald) starts getting hurt and this is when she starts to believe that maybe there really is a curse after all .

If you loved Heist Society you are bound to love Uncommon Criminals (especially if like me your team Hale)
on 20 September 2013
This book is not only very exciting, full of mystery and suspense, but the author manages to twirl in a dose of romance, a twist of friendships and some dangerous-or-not? enemies... Kat, the main character (and heroine!) is a stubborn, strong-willed girl with a quick mind and an uncommon way of life. She's started stealing back - in other words, taking something from someone which they stole in the first place, and giving it back to its rightful owner... Something like that, anyway! But, although she's determined she can do things 'on her own', she comes to realise she honestly needs someone to cover for her - a team of fun, clever teens to back her up. And, she's got them! Hale - tall, good-looking & an inside guy, the brothers Hamish and Angus - funny, OTT, yet useful, Gabrielle - the beauty, sneaky spy-thief & innocent-looking-one and Simon - the techie guy with all the background info. (like where cameras are placed and how to hack someone's machine...)

A brilliant story with a great twist of events - I want to read the next one now!!
on 22 June 2013
As well as being sent to my door fairly quickly, I was also very happy with the quality I received as well. the book was practically new! Definitely won't hesitate to buy again and already finished the book
on 14 June 2013
Such a good book, I love Ally Carter and her Gallagher Girls books so I thought I would try this. I thought it was amazing, just as good as her first one and her other books. I would most definitely recommend all of her books!