Customer reviews

on 20 January 2017
Colin Forbes has always been an author that I meant to pick up and never got around to it. There have been two of his books sat on my shelves for the best part of ten years (this and The Janus Man) and for some reason I just never read them. These days I have read nearly all that Jack Higgins has to offer, I have sampled quite a few Innes, Maclean and Kyle so thought it was about time I gave Forbes a go. This book was the thinner of the two so I decided to chance it.

The book starts of as it means to go on, full of action and adventure. We find a Scottish secret agent (Ian Macomber) undergoing a sabotage operation against the Germans, things don’t go quite as expected and he is lucky to escape with his life. As he tries to leave his double life behind and evade capture he becomes caught up in a covert mission by Nazi Abwher agents to take the monastery on top of Zervos. Should they be successful it could change the entire war in Europe, with help many miles away can Macomber and his new found collaborators first avoid detection, and secondly make it to the monastery before the Germans?

The thing I love most about books like this is that they do exactly as they were intended, transporting the reader into a situation they will never find themselves in real life. Forbes is a much better writer than I had anticipated and this is really one of those ‘boys own’ type adventures where you want to keep reading to find out what will happen next. A major plus point for me was the total lack of any love story, nothing ruins an action book that some soppy chapters just thrown in because the author wants to follow a formula.

I will be reading a few more by Colin Forbes, really wish I had tried him years ago.
on 17 October 2016
All of Forbes Books are superb reading
on 27 October 2015
another good read from a great author
on 13 August 2015
Excellent
on 25 July 2013
As an insatiable devourer of books, and living in Spain, one cannot casually & leisurely browse the bookshops for reading matter.
A number of CF's books were available, so I bought them. They were "OK", and gave me some reading time. Not much more to say, really..
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse