- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
Heart of Oak (Panther Books) Paperback – 1 Aug 1985
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"The late author, who could spin a mean tale, remembers his WWII stint in the Royal Navy; the included glossary of RN lower-deck slang is stupendous." --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top customer reviews
However I think his recollections stray from the real events, the Comorin is called the Cameroon in the book and you are left wondering if his stories are fact or fiction! They may be based on his adventures but how far from the truth are they?
That besides, its a great read and gives you a valuable insight into the conditions the seamen were subjected to.
I always thought my Uncle died in the fire onboard but it may well be that he was one of many drowned trying to reach the HMS Hood.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
But that is not to diminish the writing of the tale - Jones imaginings make for a "real" perspective of life in the lower decks of the WWII Royal Navy - and I imagne that in his immediate post-was career in the navy he learned enough to set the scene accurately.
But remember - it is a work of fiction - set on a real historical timeline - but still a good read.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > 20th Century
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Naval Forces
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Naval Warfare
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > Maritime Archaeology