Customer reviews

on 8 March 2014
Really excellent book, extremely inspiring. I will definitely be buying more of this author's work. At 60 years old I suddenly have the potential to be looking at at least another 30 to 40 years if I put the ideas into practise!!!
on 24 October 2012
I am into nutrition and really do believe that what you eat has a massive impact on your health and modifying my diet has helped me relieve joint pain, achieve better asthma control, reduce cholesterol, lose weight without feeling hungry and improve my immunity system. This book is good as it looks at long lived healthy populations around the world and analyses what they are doing right with their diets and other aspects of their lives.
on 13 May 2013
Excellent reading. Interesting if somewhat slow start but by the time I got to Part 2 I couldn't put it down, it has completely changed some of the food that I eat, I had already started on a healthier food regime a year or so back but this takes it to another level. A must read. I am in the process if buying more copies for friends. If you are interested in health and life buy it.
on 16 September 2017
Very comprehensive and clear. Recommended.
on 29 April 2011
A book for everybody.
Interesting, informative, easy to read. I bought several copies (some translated) for family and friends.
If you haven't read them yet, I also recommend `Diet for a New America' & `The Food Revolution'
on 9 March 2012
Normally sleepless nights are due to worry about intruders or rats. However, after reading this book my wife and I couldn't sleep due to the concern that we had cupboards full of crisps, chocolate, sugar and all the other products of the modern food processing industry! I'd always known that sugar was bad. I'd always known that junk food lacked nutrition. But it never had an impact on my lifestyle. At 31 years of age, slim and reasonably healthy, I didn't see much to be worried about. GPs didn't help, with their own poor diets, they would tell me not to worry unless I was 40+ with a protruding belly!

But this wonderful book changed our life. It's been a month since my wife and I read the book and we haven't eaten a chocolate bar, pack of crisps, spoon of sugar or any other junk food. And we don't even crave them. We've started walking part of the journey to work... basically making health a priorty.

How did the book instigate this? Through inspiration. The first half of the book describes four of the longest living peoples on Earth. It was amazing learning about 100 year olds bounding up mountains, threading needles and remaining disease free. I don't want to spoil the fun as the most enjoyable part was reading about their lives. The second half then goes on to analyse the multi-farious reasons for their success and - in contrast - the terrible epidemic afflicting Westerners. Insights, such as the Western fear and negative stereotyping of old age were truly eye-opening.

Upon reading this book you'll realise that it's simply not inevitable that as you grow older, you get more ill and eventually die of a slow, painful delibating disease. But it is if you carry on a junk food diet and lifestyle. This book, with its overwhelming scientific evidence and inspiring anecdotes, will empower you to finally get your diet into line with what's actually good for you.
on 2 April 2013
An excellent book looks at the 4 peoples in the world with the highest life expectancy and holistically identifies what they are doing, from diet and exercise to community.

It would have been better if the exercise section was more detailed.
on 10 April 2017
Good Book!
on 20 May 2010
Nice to raed a book that is written with balance for a change. The author describes the many health benefits that can be gained from a super healthy diet and lifestyle, without dramatising the subject and without "shouting and screaming" at the reader as I find a lot of health writers do.
Would recomend to anyone that is level headed and wants to learn a lot about how to live a long and healthy life.
Great book.
Douglas.
on 7 December 2011
John Robbins brings diet, health, lifestyle and longevity together in this beautifully written book. It's captivating right from the first chapters, where he discusses the health secrets of the longest lived cultures in the world. There is lots of scientific evidence here, but it never gets in the way of readability: it's a real page-turner. There are also great chapters on diet, exercise and the importance of relationships, all backed up with evidence you'll find fascinating. Who'd have thought lifting weights would radically improve the wellbeing of people in old people's homes! The book might change your whole approach to health and lifestyle, it has done for both myself and a friend I lent it to.