on 4 March 2016
I tried following the diet and after a couple of weeks noticed that my plaque psoriasis seemed to have flattened down and guttate was less red. Since then I have struggled with the diet and eaten sweet n spicy food here and there in small quantities which straight away made my skin itchy and inflamed
on 6 March 2017
interesting read, not very conclusive
on 27 April 2017
would buy again
on 12 September 2017
Brilliant book
on 26 May 2014
This is the first amazon review I have ever written. I feel it is my duty.

I bought this book well over a year ago and implemented dietary changes almost immediately, I saw no change whatsoever after a couple of months and gave up the ghost until January this year. After a particularly bad flare I decided to implement the dietary changes again, this time with a twist. I eliminated dairy (even though it is permitted) and nuts (again, permitted on the diet.)

I basically eat the same sorts of things every day, which I realise takes dedication. I weighed up the pros and cons of doing this and it basically comes down to the fact that psoriasis that would cover every part of me (if I let it), including my face. This fact ruins my quality of life much more than desire for variety of food.

After 1 week my psoriasis changed and was less red, some of it clearing. I helped it along with Dermalex non-steroid cream (this cream has no impact when I bought it last year!) In 3 weeks my psoriasis was gone. Everywhere. I have not been psoriasis free for 17 years. My skin is thicker and looks normal (even my non-psoriatic skin would look thin and reddish, especially at the joints).

I have only implemented dietary changes and added non GM soya lecithin to my diet. I have always taken a krill oil supplement, a probiotic and digestive enzymes. I eat sweet potato, broccoli, spinach, various salad leaves, green beans, parsnip, cucumber, celery, cauliflower and carrot. For a dressing I mix olive oil and cider vinegar with salt. I eat chicken and fish (no lamb which is permitted). To snack I eat fresh/frozen fruit or rice cakes with tuna. Every morning I blend kale, spinach, carrot, spring water and brown rice protein (a green smoothie!).

The trick is to eat fresh, and low fat.

I am no longer bloated and far less gas, my digestive system is healthier which has had a clear positive effect on my skin (as explained in the book).

This review has gotten long so I will round it up. If you are wondering whether or not this book will have a positive effect I believe it will. It may not be tailored to your exact needs. If you find the diet is not working, adapt it. Cut dairy, cut nuts go right back to basics. Yes it is restrictive, yes you might have to eat a salad at an italian restaurant and watch everyone else stuff their faces on pizza but it is not the end of the world. Keep thinking of the positive effect the diet is having. Oh and by the way, do not cheat! You could ruin all your hard work.

Take control of your life, Pagano says you do not have to follow the diet forever. I'm going to start factoring things like a bit of chocolate back into my diet very soon.
22 Comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2017
Finally, someone who gets the problem of psoriasis and helps sufferers navigate the minefield of food, herbal remedies, oils for the skin but more importantly, why working on the inside will improve the outer appearance of the skin. It is challenging to follow but the results speak for themselves. I have had this condition for over 20 years and knew it was linked to my diet and to stress which was immense until about 3 years ago. Flare ups connected to detoxing are explained as is the importance of water. One summer I drank much more water than I normally do (I'm not big on drinking water) and my skin completely cleared up in 2-3 months. For me, rest, water and stress management are the keys but it's not the same for everyone and I have the dreaded psoriatic arthritis. This book told me what I'd already figured out over 10 years ago and I learned even more so it was good to see that I've been on the right track. If I'm stricter with myself, the condition is completely manageable.
on 19 April 2011
This book worked for me, after 4 years of suffering I'm now 99% clear and has proved beyond a doubt that my psoriasis is diet related, I'm just about to start reintroducing some of the things back into my diet so I can discover what caused it in the first place (just hope it's not beer) I have a sneaking suspicion it could have been too many tomatoes. I didn't find it too difficult to change my diet as I am already a long term veggie but as he says you have to stick at it or you will fail and it is really worth the effort.
Something else which may have contributed was that I had already changed from from cow's to goat's milk a few months beforehand which seemed to clear up my seborrhoeic dermatitis.
A couple of things that may help - sweet potatoes are great steamed and as a base for stews, if you have a bit of a sweet tooth then buy packets of figs, dates and apricots as they are great for snacking.
on 26 May 2016
Within 10 days of following this book my psoriasis started to clear up. I had a bad attack all over my body and the emulsion creams I was given by the doctor didn't do anything. It took about six months but my skin is back to normal and the added bonus is I lost some weight. I now try to keep my intake of acid foods to no more than 20% of my diet, although I so have treats from time to time.
on 17 February 2008
This endorses all the other reviews. I have had psoriasis for over twenty years, gradually getting worse over that time, to the point where I was pretty much covered in it. I have now followed the dietary advice in this book for 6 weeks, and the psoriasis has practically gone. I still have a little on my scalp and behind my ears (i.e. in the places where it started all those years ago) but everywhere else is clear. I have been pretty assiduous about the diet, although I still have one cup of coffee per day. I haven't taken enough exercise, and I haven't done the colonic irrigation stuff that the book recommends, but it's still worked. I feel much better, and am sleeping much better than I have in years. The book is very American and frankly quite weird in places but do not be put off by any of this. It does what it says it will do, i.e. it cures psoriasis, and when you've been plagued by this unpleasant, confidence-sapping skin disease, that's all you need to know.
on 11 June 2014
It's a miracle. I have suffered psoriasis since 30, I am now 41 and being on Dr pagano's diet for 8 months it and it's now clearing and taking less potent drugs. Since diagnosed with P my dermatologist has treated me with PUVA, diprobase, dovobet, synalar gel, coal tar remedies plus more and lastly acitretin (which has major side effects for couples wishing to get pregnant as it in majority of cases can cause defects in children! I had to ween of this stuff for my future children's sake). After 10 years and being 'experimented' with treatment after treatment and told acitretin would increase my cholesterol which by the way can be reduced by another drug called statins (more side effects) I was desperate for a natural remedy. Hallelujah. This book was recommend by a friend and it's totally changed my life. I've lost weight and looking normal, feel fitter, play 2 hours of aggresive badminton without being tired, skin is slight pink in some places but no longer flaky or scaly. For me it wad just a matter of giving up temptation in food like anything containing sugar, chillis, caffeine, gluten and dairy. Makes grocery shopping so easy! I enjoy vegetarian stir fries with chicken, steamed fish, plenty of veg and lentil herby soups. Also yeuchy but necessary veg smoothies. And drink about 8 glasses water a day. The best bit about this is that you'll be in control of your health and your body and avoid potentially dangerous drugs.