on 31 December 2013
The only reason to buy the hard back version of this book is if you are a Griffin die hard fan. Which I am. More MASH than Presidential agent, which the author(s) admit in the last few pages of the book. I started reading it and got more and more annoyed as I read on. Nothing happens, If you have read any of the MASH books then yu can happily take any of them off the shelf and get the same experience. You also get a fair bit of the Griffin back story repetition, some of which doesn't actually gibe with what was written in the previous books, although that is common in most Griffin books. I'd given up on the book by about page 300 and was just reading to finish.

The last few pages are a bit of author(s) blurb where even they seem to apologise for the book.

And as for whoever wrote the book jacket info quoted in the Amazon ad. Describing this book as the most "harrowing" in the series indicates they didn't actually read it.

It gets one star for me being a griffin diehard fan. And it's now going onto the book shelf and probably won't be taken down again.
on 5 January 2014
If I had wanted to re-read the MASH books from the 1970's I'd have got them out of storage!
WEB Griffin should be ashamed that this travesty of a book was sold as part of the Presidential Agent series without warning his fans that this was in fact intended to be a joke. I can only agree with the other reviewer that this dumbing-down has come with the inclusion of a co-author.
If this is his way of overcoming trauma, he should pay for his own therapy.
Lastly, what other author changes details from book to book at such a spectacular rate?

In short, not even one for the fans.
on 14 January 2014
I am a big W E B Griffen fan. I found this book very disappointing. Not his best work, but then since he started being a co author the quality has deteriorated
on 5 September 2014
What a rip-off!!

I have read virtually every book written by W.E.B. Griffin, either on his own or in conjunction with someone else... and was eagerly looking forward to reading the next instalment of Charley Castillo and his band of misfits.

But this one was just one big disappointment, and has to be just about the worst of the bunch.

Tired......

... A weak story line padded out by loads of rehashing chunks from previous books.....

I got the distinct impression this one was rushed out to meet a publishing deadline... or the authors just couldn't be bothered to flesh out the book in the usual meticulous way

In short..not worth the exorbitant amount of money I forked out to buy this.

I certainly won't be rushing out to buy the next book
on 25 April 2014
This was a real disappointment - the first 40% of the book was a rehash of the earlier books in the series and the remainder was truly pathetic. There is no story to it at all, no depth to the characters, and the "humour" was ridiculous. I was astonished when the book ended (I was reading it on a Kindle) as I was stll waiting for the real story to start.

I have been a great Griffin fan for years; however is this is a foretaste of the future collaborative books, then I will read no more new offerings.

Very disappointed and I really do feel cheated.
on 26 June 2015
It seems that the increased use of Mr Butterworth as co-writer does not make for a better read. I've read almost all the "Griffin" books, starting with "The Brotherhood of War" and I think these co-written books spend too much time and space telling what "went before" I'm sorry, but the "Zing" has gone out the window. It's as if they (the writers) seek situations to write about which are more and more extreme. Still, I thank Mr Griffin for all the terrific stuff he wrote earlier... alone.
on 24 April 2015
Worse book they have written .I am glad I waited until my local library purchased the soft cover edition ,do they think that by adding 2 characters they can précis other novels and call it a story. Still did not end by the marriage of the two From being a collector of all the series of books I will now get them from the local library free.
on 16 April 2014
My Dad discovered Griffin when on holiday in the US, some 18 years ago and since then we have purchased his books at least 2 a year or in bulk when we find them. Over the last 8 years Amazon have been my saviour in stocking these titles and ensuring I have at least 2 gifts a year for my Dad which I know he will love.
on 17 December 2016
I have loved w e b griffin fir years and have bought almost everything he has done. This was such a disappointment, I didn't believe the poor reviews and I wish I had. Couldn't even finish the book.
on 21 May 2014
Boring and not up to the usual Griffin standards. Definitely will not be buying any more from this series. The plot goes no-where, is too slow and lacks any real point.