Customer reviews

on 4 July 2016
I read this book about 10 years ago and thought it was really good. I decided to buy the Kindle edition just to see if it had been updated in anyway, like if they'd been some extra chapters added on what Mr Hawk had been up to since the publication. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have been updated but it's still a good read.

One thing I noticed this time however, is how many times Tony talks about how skateboarding isn't about competing and beating other skaters but more about having fun and learning with your friends, yet he constantly brings up his wins at contests. A slightly odd thing to do. I mean, if skating isn't about winning contests and excelling, why do you bring your wins up?

Another thing I noticed was how the "second half" of the book seems a lot shorter than the first half.It seems like there's only a handful of chapters dedicated to 1990-2002 while over half the book was set during his early years with the Bones Brigade. I suppose that could be because those ear;y years impacted his career more.

It's still a good read though..If I wasn't old and creaky, this book would have inspired me to buy a skateboard and attempt to learn to how to "fakie to backslide varial 720".
on 30 March 2012
This book is incredible, if you are a skateboarder you must must own and read this book he is an icon of my generation of skateboarders like 90s kids etc lol, I will keep the sport alive by only stop skating when I feel that I am to old to do it not when people tell me or think I am, and i personally hope he keeps on shredding untill he is a pensioner lol respect.
I Give This 5 stars, Highly recommend it It is an insight to what a skateboarder endures to become the best in his/her sport even though people tend to take the Mic a bit because they do not understand the sport, cant wait to read it again on the train tomorrow lol :)
on 9 January 2017
A regular guy done good. Your not born rich and famous in this sport. It takes 100% dedication and the school of hard knocks is a massive understatement. Tony Hawk, I thank you Sir! A great read.👏
on 28 June 2014
Great read, i couldn't put this book down. from start to finish a fantastic read.
on 9 November 2014
Fascinating !!!!
on 1 November 2014
Perfect thanks
on 16 October 2014
Amazing
on 10 October 2001
I'm not much of a fan of biographies, even if they are by people I greatly admire, but this book sets a new standard in both biographies and sports writing. It's written with a grace & fluidity matched only by the man's skating abilities. I would recommend you buy this book even if you dont skate. Maybe it'll make you want to start (or at least have a little respect for those of us who do).
on 1 January 2001
I thought the book was great as it takes you from Hawk's childhood to the present day covering everything from the highs and lows of skating to the highs and lows in his life. Its pretty much a Disney tale in some respects, misunderstood child finds an outlet for his creativity, reaches the top of the sport before it all comes crashing down then holds on till he makes it back to the top again both in skating (pulling the 900) business(starting a succesful skate company while staring bankruptcy in the face) and his personal life (divorce/father's death) It would probably make a pretty good film! However, on the minus side some of the info would be hard for a non skater to comprehend, but overall its a good read.
on 18 February 2011
This book is a great read from the point of view of a skateboarder but it is also a great read from the point of view of non - skateboarders altough sometimes the book talks about tricks in proper skating terminology e.g. a 900 or a 540 Flip etc and this may be a bit confusing if you do not know skateboarding but it is not really a problem at all. I am currently on page 170 and loving it. This book also contains some great pictures of Tony at competions and just skating around which adds to the flavour.

I would thourghouly reccomend this book to anybody and everybody.