on 30 December 1998
I really enjoyed the book 'I Have Words to Spend'. I am very interested in Robert Cormier and have read most of his books, but Words to Spend showed a side of him that I never knew. Did you know that he once went through the car wash at 50 miles an hour, that his favorite word is cellophane (pronounced slowly: cel-lo-phane), or that he worries because his handwriting looks like that of a schizophrenic's? Reading this book was like looking through a window into the life of Robert Cormier, my mentor, author extraordinaire. I can just hear the words being spoken in his old, leathery voice, enthralling me with every page. One of these days I ought to go down to the Fitchburg Library and read the rest of those columns...
on 31 May 1998
Opening this book is like opening a window into the life of author Robert Cormier. We find out about his childhood memories, favorite movies, family interactions, and travels. We see Cormier the journalist, who wrote every one of the columns in this book on deadline while juggling the responsibilities of also being a newspaper editor. The columns made me laugh at one turn and cry at the next. He has a way of finding something extraordinary in the everyday details of life. This is a perfect book to keep by your bed to savor over time. I find myself returning to it over and over again. The introductory comments by Cormier's wife are refreshing and give a glimpse of the wonderful relationship they seem to share. Fans of Cormier's work ought to enjoy this book as much as those who are not familiar with his other work. I'd highly recommend that everyone treat themselves to "I Have Words to Spend".